Inter-breed mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sunny Side Up, May 24, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Yes, I know that ducks don't always stick with their same breed for mating, but do they tend to stick with the same type? I have Khaki Campbell drakes & hens, and also 2 Pekin hens. The KC drakes never mate with the Pekins. Could that be because the Pekins are so tubby & the KC drakes less so? If I added a Pekin drake might he mate with the KC hens? I plan to get some Indian Runners this summer, 1 drake + 4 hens. Do you think the IRs will mate with the KCs? With the Pekins? Runners have such a distinct body type I wonder if they would be attracted to, or attempt to mate with other kinds of ducks.

It only matters because I sometimes sell the eggs for hatching, & I'd like to keep the breeds separate. Or do I need to? I like the mixed-breed chickens we get, are mixed-breed ducks just as nice?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Are you sure he not having sport with them all? i've got a snowy mallard drake that has his way with all of the ancana and muscovy hens and he's small comparend to girls

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    None of us have ever seen any of the KC drakes mating with the Pekin hens. We have seen the Pekins on top of each other on occasion [​IMG] and my son said he saw our Embden gander on top of a Pekin. I just wondered how common this is, that certain duck breeds avoid other breeds, wondered if it had to do with body shape.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I have been wondering too. I see the wild ducks tending to stick to same breed and wondered if the captive ones like our runners and east indy ducks would stick to their own. What a great post.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My Welsh Harlequin drake mates with my runner as well as his WH girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by