1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Inter-breeding --- ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken Ma, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Chicken Ma

Chicken Ma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    I now have two more roosters and two hens, though they still are babies. What I'm wondering, since I am new to this chicken stuff, is if I let my hens hatch out more eggs next spring, what happens if one of the roosters mates with a hen, who just happened to be his mother? Will the chicks be okay, or deformed, or something else wrong with them? I don't plan to hatch any more, but I know my grandkids will be bugging me for baby chicks!

2. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    I've wondered about this too.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have heard that it is fine as long as it isn't a straight match, like full brother to full sister type of thing. It just makes the coloring and other characteristics 'stick'.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Parent child breedings is often referred to as line breeding. Inbreeding will bring out the good and bad. Diversity in genes is often the best for resistance and health reasons long term.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, I knew there was a word for it. [​IMG] They do the same with dogs, though not as close. They call it 'typing'.

6. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    So brother sister mating is really bad?

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Generally Mother, Grandmother to son and visa versa is fine and is an established practice with many breeders.

Brother to Sister should be avoided. I avoid problems by trying to add the hens I hatch to the flock and keep the rooster for 2 years. I then try to replace him with a non related rooster. I now have two different lines going so I can take a new rooster from a different pen and swap them out that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by