inter-species dating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GulfBamaChick, Aug 29, 2014.

1. GulfBamaChick

GulfBamaChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Is my rooster the only one who does the little tap dance towards me, and if I am leaned down or gardening, add a little creep up behind me to it? Hmmmm...Should I explain to him inter-species dating is forbidden?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

He is not looking for a date.....these are the first signs of him dominating you. In other words the first signs of human aggression from a rooster. :(

3. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Oh. Well I pet him a lot, and he does stay his distance when he does this. He is pretty well “people-broken” as my kids hold him all the time. I doubt it will be an issue because I am pretty dominant with all of my animals. They know who is boss. He can size up but hopefully it doesn’t go further than that. He really is a mamas boy at this point so I have a hard time picturing him as human aggressive. He is a 24 week old barred rock mix.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  4. enola

If he knows who is the boss, he would not be doing this "tap dance".

5. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Well if he does anything crazy he will get one UFC style warning then after shot #2 he will be chicken and dumplins (; lol Let us hope not!

6. enola

That is about the same plan here. I am nursing a wound on the back of my leg from a little "tap dancer". He will find out in the morning that he is invited to Sunday dinner. He won't be needing any silver ware either. :)

7. GulfBamaChick

Mar 21, 2014
    Mobile Bay Area
    Here is my guy. I spend a lot of time outside with my girls and he has always been really sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by