Interactions between your breeds.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cutchens, Nov 30, 2013.

1. cutchens

cutchens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Slapout, Alabama
    So here goes. When I picked out the breeds I wanted, it was based pretty much solely on temperament. So I chose barred rock, cochin and light brahma. When I got my first 4( 2-pbr, 2-cochin) all was well in the coop and very little angst. Yesterday we got 2 lt. Brahma girls and hey things are in an uproar. The 2 BPR's that were the clear leaders are now consistently running away from the brahmas. One of the Cochins also scurries away, but one does not. It seems like the brahmas are only interested in messing with my dark colored birds. The white cochin seems fine. What are your experiences with interaction between different breeds. Oh and none of these shenanigans has been overly aggressive, just a lot of clucking and chasing.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Birds of a feather flock together. There is always some angst with pecking order when integrating existing flock but yours have proven the old adage. Chickens are a tad racist.

A good euphemism to call them would be plumagist.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. cutchens

cutchens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Slapout, Alabama
    It is very true it seems. They all hang in groups.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They'll work it out and be a flock very soon. I was mostly kidding with stating chickens are plumagist. There's some truth to it when you read many posts. Like a hen whose eggs were not fertile until a cockerel of same breed was put in run. Little things like that are funny and you read of sub groups to plumage in flocks. Thankfully it's mild behavior or we'd not get to see the colorful mixed flocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by