Interested if anyone can help with Sexing and Breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Suprise-Chicks, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Suprise-Chicks

Suprise-Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi I have recently found 4 baby Chicks, and really would like to know more about them.

Chicken #1 (biggest) - Named, Long Neck
    [​IMG]
    Chciken #2 - Named, Turbo
    [​IMG]
    Chicken #3 - Named Speedy
    [​IMG]
    Chicken #4 - Named Lucky
    [​IMG]
    All Together
    [​IMG]
    Any help would be great[​IMG]

2. ilona73

ilona73 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Tampa, FL
    Do you know what breed they are and how old they are?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Mixed breeds. The first two likely have some Araucana in them. The first chick looks to be about 6 to 8 weeks old and is definitely a cockerel. The rest look to be about 3 to 4 weeks old and are too young to guess the genders yet.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At that age, the younger ones may still need some supplemental heat and need to be kept out of drafts to avoid them getting chilled, until they are finished feathering in.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wonder if they're Silkie mixes. In the 3rd picture, that chick clearly has extra toes. Or maybe Sultan mixes. Just a thought.

Long Neck looks like it will be a cockerel.

6. Suprise-Chicks

Hi All, and thanks for all the help, Breed is unknown, but they are all around 6 weeks old.

I googled a lot and I think the two grey are Lavender Araucana and the yellow is a Salmon faverolle, and speedy has extra toes. Lucky I have no idea what she is....

I have felt the pink part on long necks head and can't feel any bumps, at this stage? Hoping for girls, as I have no rules about cockerels in my living location, but do want to upset the people around me.

I live in WA, which are 30 or over degrees in the day, and not much under 20 degrees. they have been outside for a week, i thought at 6 weeks they could go outside? do you all think that was a bad move? They seem to love it outside and around 7pm every night the go upstairs to sleep in the straw.

I'm really hoping none are cockerels, but you guys are better qualified, as I'm a new surprised chicken owner. I can take more photos in a few weeks, they my help.

So I should fill you all in and the background of how we got these Chicks.
    Almost 6 weeks ago it was raining and I let Zaccy (Chihuahua) out to the bathroom around midday on a Saturday.

He was gone a while so I went looking as he hates his feet wet. When I got down the back, he had a tiny bird in his mouth, didn’t hurt it just brought it to me.
    It was Lucky she was alive and cold. I heard little sound to turn around and see 3 more babies.

Zaccy and I towel dried them and use a hairdryer too. It worth noting Zaccy can’t handle bath time and has a panic attack; he just wants his babies back and the floor with him.

We were just going to get them big enough to goes in the next door Coop, but we got very much attached, and built their New Home. (I’m now chicken crazy and want to make it bigger)
    This is why, we know nothing about them, we did spend 2 weeks looking for who owned them and with no luck, and I think someone dumped them, which is horrible.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Speedy and Lucky still have more feathering to do, and because of that, they need to be kept out of any wind. Chick down is not a great insulator. Also, that little coop is going to get outgrown in a few more months.
    Long Neck is definitely about 2 weeks older than the rest of them.
    They are beautiful little babies, but not purebreds.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If you look at the pictures, you can see that Speedy and Lucky are holding their necks in close and are all hunched up. That means they are probably feeling a bit chilled.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    long neck is a cockerel

10. Suprise-Chicks

Hi Everyone,

The chickens have grown.

Long Neck
    [​IMG]
    Turbo
    [​IMG]
    Speedy Back, Turbo Front.
    [​IMG]
    Lucky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are growing up so fast, and change a little every few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by