Interested in a colored egg project next spring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimslack, Nov 17, 2013.

1. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    A year ago my neighbor gave me his chickens b/c he was moving. He got them from McMurrary hatchery. His rooster was some kind of barred, long legged mutt with a pea comb that the hatchery passed off as an exotic. He had a pearl leghorn and several jersey giants and a buff orpington. I got some of the eggs from him the summer before he moved and hatched them. I got a leghorn cross that lays light blue large eggs. I have two jersey giant crosses that lay green eggs, a buff orpington cross that lays green eggs.

This got me interested in hatching some chicks next Spring with colored eggs.

If I got an ameraucana rooster and let him loose with my existing flock of mixed breeds and several barnevelders, a buff orpington, some wynodotte mixes, a couple of silver spangled hamburgs and two lakenvelders and two cuckoo marans.......would I possibly get more colored egg layers?

Does anyone have suggestions for a colored egg project that would be fun to try?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Using an Ameraucana rooster (from a reputable breeder NOT a hatchery) would give you pullets that would lay many different colors of eggs. Egg colors ranging from blue all the way through dark olive, creating a very pretty basket of eggs.

3. kimslack

kimslack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    Western NY
    Thanks.. I'll see if I can seek out a mature rooster for the girls and brood some easter eggers this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by