Interested in a duck... but I need advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snapple166, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Snapple166

Snapple166 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Ok... so I am really interested in owning a pet duck.

I just want to explain my situation and all the factors involved before I go into this and realize I am not the right fit to raise one, or it will not work out. I don't want to end up harming an animal or raising one incorrectly.

My mother used to raise ducks when she was a little girl. She passed on about 6 months ago, and I really want to get one and raise it in honor of her. I love ducks and I would be happier then I ever could be if this could all come to fruition.

SO! These are the factors. I live in an apartment with my girlfriend and our dog. The dog is the most gentle dog you will ever meet. It lets our pet rat sleep on her. So I would not be worried about any harm coming to the duck in any way. We have a large kennel we used to keep the dog in, but she doesn't need it. So I figure that would be a good place to set up as its home.

I would like to know what a good breed of duck would be to own indoors. Preferrably quiet.

I also would like to know the best feed I need to get and prepare myself to stock, and the best way to maintain their bathroom. I am a complete newbie at this and I really want some good guidance before I venture into owning an animal like this. I am more then willing to put the work and effort into raising one.

I had a few questions as well... they say it is not healthy to raise a duck alone. Does this mean it has to have other DUCKS, or would another pet be a good companion. I am very sure that our cocker spaniel would be a very loving companion to the duck. I just did not know if a duck needs to have others of its kind to be raised with it, or it just needs companions of some sort.

Any advice or guidelines that can be given would be greatly appreciated. I have never owned an animal of this type. I have owned cats and dogs, snakes, lizards, fish, and many other pets my entire life. I am an animal enthusiast. But when I saw a local farm here selling ducklings, I freaked out and realized it was a calling to me. I want to do this for more then just me. I want to do this in honor of my mother. I know she would be proud if I could pull this off so anything you guys can help me with would mean the world to me.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and give any feedback!

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    A) I would say a White Pekin duck is the best possible choice, considering they can be raised to be very tame and you can put them into cute little diapers.

B) I raise my Pekin on scratch grains and chicken crumbles. Any type of chicken feed I know of can be fed to a duck.

C) Bathroom needs are definitely a challenge considering that birds do not have bladders and it.. well, you know where I am going with this. I would suggest you purchase some duck diapers to fit the needs of your duck.

D) A duck can be raised around any animal it finds companionship in. If you raise the duck around your dog, they will most likely become the best of friends. Also, no the duck does not have to be raised around other ducks to stay happy.

E) I really hope this helped! If you need any more help, be sure to PM me any time!

1 person likes this.
  3. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks for directing me to your thread :) I'm going to PM you back and hopefully it answers some of your questions!

1 person likes this.
  4. Snapple166

Snapple166 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you both! Any feedback is amazing! I really do want to undertake this, I just want to make sure I am fully prepared to do so. I did think at first it would be like owning a bird, but I see it is much more in depth then that, but that is fine because the more in depth it is, the more rewarding the outcome can be =)

5. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Very true! Please keep me updated on what type of duck you choose and how it goes!

6. Snapple166

Snapple166 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    There was a breed of duck at the farm. It was all different colors and it had a redish looking bill. I cannot remember the name of the breed, but they said they are very quiet ducks, and they rarely ever quack. The only time they said they made noise is when the male wants to breed. I just want to find a duck that will be the easiest tamable type, and the most affectionate. I love pets and I want to raise my duck to be just that. A pet and a part of the family. I don't just want a duck that I take care of ya know? I want to be rewarded with love from the duck... The only drawback to having a pet like a rat or my fish... they are not the most loving of animals.

7. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Was it a Muscovy? They have sort of a reddish tint to their beaks! I think what you are looking for is a Pekin. Although they are sometimes loud, they are very very loving!

8. Snapple166

Snapple166 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I think that was it! Very dark in feather color.

Pekin sounds like the best choice, I just have to be careful about how loud it will get. My neighbors upstairs are... lets just say... kind of unpleasant. Our floors are not that thick and they complain about any noise they hear. But hopefully, that won't be a problem.

9. White Leghorn

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Muscovy's have brownish-blackish feathers on top and white feathers underneath! Sorry to hear about your neighbors!

10. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Regarding ducks, I'm kind of butting in (sorry), but my husband wants a duck. I'm planning on a couple chickens and he likes ducks. Could ducks be housed with the chickens? Do I need like a small swimming pool for them? Buff ducks are what we both like. Glad to see this post :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by