INterested in Chick-N-Barn...

Where are you located? I'm in so Calif. and found a retailer not too far from me that carries this coop.
Go to Ware's website http://www.waremfginc.com/retailers.asp
and
click on your state. If you can find a retailer near you, that's the way to go. The shipping adds quite a bit $$$ to the total bill.
And remember that some prices quoted are with the attachable hutch, others are not.

Last edited:
I got my ChickNBarn and matching run before I got my chicks. It was convienient in that it was easy to assemble and basically and 'instant' home for the chickens.

If I had to do it again, knowing how fast Ive expanded my flock, I'd have just built my own coop to begin with for a lot less or a comparable amount than I spent on the ChickNBarn and run.

I'd consider the 'out of the box' ChickNBarn and run as comparable to the Eglu - suitable for someone who intends to have only a very small number of chickens OR who wants a few more and has a yard they can roam in during the day.

Pros:

It's cute, and a quick solution for chicken housing - works pretty much as advertised, although I'd not put more than 4-5 full sized hens in there, and I added my own roosting pole on the side opposite the doors for egg collection. It is a bit pricey, but less than a Eglu and would hold a couple more chickens than the eglu if you aren't a Bob the Builder type.

Cons:
If you use the matching run, it is very low to the ground, so it is hard to get in there to catch chickens or clean. There is NO way I'd put 10 standards sized hens in there. If you get the attached run with the intention of them spending 100% of their time in the barn and run, then I'd not put more than 2-3 tops.

Hope this helps!

You can see my ChickNBarn and run in my webcam during the daytime Eastern US hours. I built 4 8ft panels to attach to the front of the run to give them more room to roam in. I now am using it as my grow-out pen for my silkies and soon to be for the chicks in the brooder now when they get big enough to go outside. It's served REALLY well as a grow out pen, especially with the extra space added by the panels I built.

I have to agree with Arlee. I have another Ware product, the Chick-n-Hutch and Chick-n-Pen, and they were ok for a short time. I think the Barn might be better quality than the Hutch; but my hutch started to fall apart after just a few months (and I live in a very mild climate!). The pros are its very easy and fine for a couple of hens, but now that my four girls are 6 months old, I'm already ready to have a new one built. It will end up costing me about the same as ordering a Ware product on line and I'll be able to use better quality materials.

The only thing that the barn would be used for would be 1 roo and between 2 and 4 bantam barred rock hens. When its nice I have room for them to free-range, I just have no room left in my normal coop so I was looking for an easy solution and an easy way to seperate that breed from the rest of my laying flock. Could you guys please tell me if you think that this plan would work?
Thanks!! Alyssa

Back
Top Bottom