Interested in getting bee's

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone! I'd like to get bee's sometime in the future. Its something we've been talking about for years, but never put in the time to research it. I don't know a thing about bee keeping, but am excited and willing to learn!
I read in a previous thread they are expensive initially, what is "expensive?" Where can I find my state requirements on keeping them? I read somewhere you may need a permit. What should I do during the winter? It can get awfully cold here, got down to -3 this year in the mornings, but not usually for long, we do get snow. We don't have an established orchard yet, but did plant quite a few apple trees this year. Will this be an issue? We live in a very wooded area with a large yard, plus our garden, will that be enough for them to thrive? How much work are they?
Then more questions about honey gathering, like can you take to much too soon, etc. I don't know much at all, how the colony works, etc. Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm happy to finally be taking the first step in our journey with bees.

See if there is a local apiary/beekeeping club. They will know about the climate challenges and will be able to clarify anything you do not understand from reading. There is plenty of info out there but it's difficult to sort all out at first.

You may also be able to pick up a hive and nuke for not much money from a club member. Doing it all from scratch buying over the internet will be more expensive and less likely to take the first time.

Hi! I just wanted to add that I'm getting into bees this year and I have my hive all set up and a deposit on an Italian nuc. It would be fun to start my journey with others who are also starting out on theirs so we can share what we've learned together.
I know a lot of bee keepers who take their hives inside of their barn when the weather gets cold in the winter. I've also been advised to stack hay bales behind and on the sides of the hive to insulate them during the cold winter months. I have a very mild winter here so I'll probably insulate them in December/January.
They are excellent foragers so not having an orchard going shouldn't be a problem. As far as permits, you can find the information you'll need in your county's ag department requirements for beekeeping. Beekeeping groups are also wonderful sources of information and will often times direct you to your department of ag with questions about where, how many, and if permits are required.

I'm sorry for blowing up your post but I also wanted to add that as far as expenses go you can expect to pay $500 for your hive (sometimes you can find a deal on hives you build yourself and they come with other bee keeping equipment- that's what I did), around $30 for gloves and a smoker, around $90 for the suit and I can't remember what the hat was priced at. Also nucs around here cost between $150 and $200 for a 3 lb package and they sell out quickly.

If you harvest too much honey too close to winter and you don't supplement them through the winter the hives can starve and die off. It would be best to let them establish themselves the first year, check on their progress, and maybe think about harvesting the following late spring or summer so they have plenty of time to build up their honey store before winter.

I'm sorry for blowing up your post but I also wanted to add that as far as expenses go you can expect to pay $500 for your hive (sometimes you can find a deal on hives you build yourself and they come with other bee keeping equipment- that's what I did), around $30 for gloves and a smoker, around $90 for the suit and I can't remember what the hat was priced at. Also nucs around here cost between $150 and $200 for a 3 lb package and they sell out quickly.

If you harvest too much honey too close to winter and you don't supplement them through the winter the hives can starve and die off. It would be best to let them establish themselves the first year, check on their progress, and maybe think about harvesting the following late spring or summer so they have plenty of time to build up their honey store before winter.
Hi! I just wanted to add that I'm getting into bees this year and I have my hive all set up and a deposit on an Italian nuc. It would be fun to start my journey with others who are also starting out on theirs so we can share what we've learned together.
I know a lot of bee keepers who take their hives inside of their barn when the weather gets cold in the winter. I've also been advised to stack hay bales behind and on the sides of the hive to insulate them during the cold winter months. I have a very mild winter here so I'll probably insulate them in December/January.
They are excellent foragers so not having an orchard going shouldn't be a problem. As far as permits, you can find the information you'll need in your county's ag department requirements for beekeeping. Beekeeping groups are also wonderful sources of information and will often times direct you to your department of ag with questions about where, how many, and if permits are required.
Thank you for posting! This is so much good info! I did sign up for an online "forum" type thing in my area. I also plan on reaching out to some friends who have bee's to see what their strategy's are. Theres also a bee keeping class here, though the current hours don't work for us, I might see about getting it on that if they change in the future.
I'll keep this thread updated on our progress! Maybe some one else like me might be able to use it someday. :D
Good to know about the hay bales. We have moderate winters, it can get chilly. -3 in the early morning was as cold as it got last year, and last year was colder than usual. Not as bad as some climates, but probably tough on bee's.

Thank you for posting! This is so much good info! I did sign up for an online "forum" type thing in my area. I also plan on reaching out to some friends who have bee's to see what their strategy's are. Theres also a bee keeping class here, though the current hours don't work for us, I might see about getting it on that if they change in the future.
I'll keep this thread updated on our progress! Maybe some one else like me might be able to use it someday. :D
Good to know about the hay bales. We have moderate winters, it can get chilly. -3 in the early morning was as cold as it got last year, and last year was colder than usual. Not as bad as some climates, but probably tough on bee's.
Yes, hopefully it will be useful info to people who want to get started! I have wanted bees for years do I've asked a lot of questions and spent countless hours reading. I feel like I'm ready this year and I'm very excited to get started. Hopefully this thread can cut down on all of that painstaking research and uncertainty for others lol

Yes, hopefully it will be useful info to people who want to get started! I have wanted bees for years do I've asked a lot of questions and spent countless hours reading. I feel like I'm ready this year and I'm very excited to get started. Hopefully this thread can cut down on all of that painstaking research and uncertainty for others lol
Definitely! I'll share what I find too! I think the hardest part is finding your resources, and knowing where to look. Maybe we'll be able to stack some up here for anyone looking to get bee's in the future.

Back
Top Bottom