Interested in getting Quail

UnholySecrets

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 2, 2014
We're moving to a new house later this year when it warms up a bit and I'm looking into getting a Quail or two. I've never had any before and would like to know more about them. What breed would be best? Do they get smelly fast? Which breed is quiet?

As for housing inside I have 6 aquariums, 3 small, 3 large (two wide one tall). And I can easily build an outdoor pen/coop for them to go outside. I plan on having em as pets mostly.

If you want eggs, Coturnix would be the way to go. I have never had any problems with smell; however, they were noisy the few times they had to sleep in the house. I hope this helps!

Eggs would be nice, I really don't think noise would bother me much as I'm used to the sound of screeching wheels for rodent pets lol. And glad for the smell factor if they're not that smelly.

How are they handling wise and such? Also how many would you recommend getting?

I would make sure I got at least 3 or more females to every male. If you're not really interested in breeding, you may consider not getting any males as they don't lay eggs and look virtually the same as females. As for handling, mine seem to be pretty tame, but are still a little squirmish. It is best to get them very young and handle them a lot from an early age.

Might just get females and then a male later on. Also plan on making a incubator since I don't think there's any breeders around me.

Back
Top Bottom