Interested in hearing how many of you had this happen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Melabella, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Hello all,

I am 9 weeks into learning, loving, and waiting for my small flock to grow up, be happy and healthy and give us some of those eggs!

I own 10 chickens of 5 different breeds. Ordered them from Meyer, they all arrived in excellent condition, and thrived from the get go. I ordered all females, as I had lived next to a not so nice Rooster where we rented while looking for a house of our own. He was noisy, bossy, mean and not friendly at all. So,,, about 3 weeks ago I noticed some major differences in one of my Columbian Wyandottes, and "her" breed partner. I posted pictures, and all my lovely expert BYC gender friends all posted they thought "she" was a cockrel. Sure enough, 3 weeks later, they are correct!

I called Meyer, originally very bummed out. They were very nice and respectful, and asked me to send pictures, and also informed me they inform us in catalog and website that they have a 90 % sexing rate. I ordered 10, got 9 hens, so I guess that is spot on! They were kind enough to give me a credit of $2.79 which is what the day old cost, but only after I asked. I thought originally I would give him away, but after reading so much on here about the possible benifits of having a roo, I have decided to inch along and see how it goes. So far so good, he seems gentle enough, but I realize that he is still very young.

So, my question is.... how many of you have ordered females, and have roos show up in your order? Is this quite common? I heard that CW are a bit difficult to sex. I loved my entire experience with Meyer, and would order from them again but wonder how common it is.

THanks guys,

MB

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    It is very common. Much more common then people realize.

3. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    yup! I bought 6 got one roo

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The 90% accuracy rate is pretty well universal; it's just not an exact science, at least in almost all breeds.

I would defnitely hang onto him and see how it goes, myself. You might end up with a mean, attacking creature -- or you might end up with a very sweet, lap loving pet. You just won't know until he grows up. And, even a mean roo (toward people) is very often an excellent protector of his girls, watching for predators, giving them treats, even offering himself to a predator while giving the girls time to get into hiding. Some are way too rough when they mate, tearing up feathers or even cutting them, but many are not. I've never had one who liked to be touched or held, but for the most part, they kept their distance from people and did their job with their girls. I've had a couple who mated too roughly, in the last few years.

5. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    I ordered five Speckled Sussex hens. I got seven chicks. Five roosters & two hens.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Sure, that 90% sexing guarantee is there for a reason. It's easy to make mistakes vent-sexing day-old chicks. I've gotten a rooster before in a sexed batch, but I've never gotten more than 10% roosters. Their sexing guarantee seems to be spot on.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I ordered 14 pullets, got one cockerel. I counted myself lucky since I'd purchased them from a small, local hatchery and expected that they might not average 90%.

If you want 100%, you're better off with sexlinks... although I have heard of people getting an accidental sexlink cockerel so even that isn't fool-proof.

8. Melabella

Jun 2, 2011
    All such helpful responses! I was wondering given the fact that they allow for the 10% missex rate, they throw a roo in any way, so to help place some of them! I wonder what happens to all those baby roo's, as I am sure the demand for females far outweighs the want for Roo's. Maybe I don't want to know![​IMG] When my 11 year old asked me as she was doing the math in her head...I told her the unsold boys become meat chickens. Not wanting to lie, but also not wanting to hear the crying about day olds maybe being done away with. She understands about animals contribution to human food sources, but fuzzy lil babies..not so much.

Flockwatcher,,

I try to hold him as much as possible, but as you stated,,,, he seems to be very interested in everything I do, but keeps a healthy distance. You also make a very good point about the rough mating. Our old neighbors rooster used to de feather his hens bare! I thought they were molting,, but after watching him be so aggrissive when mating, I realized why thier backs were totally bare! I will wait and see. Won't mind a helpful man around the girls, otherwise, I will have to rehome. My hubby is a bit freaked out by eating "fertilized eggs" but after I showed him numerous threads about the topic in here, he has calmed about that thought.

THanks again people!

Any one else get unwanted roo's in their orders? How did it work out, did the roosters turn out to be a help, or a hinderance?

Ciao for now,
    MB

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've only ever gotten one "extra" roo, and I didn't keep him because it wasn't a breed I wanted. I do find the roosters to be a help in my flock. When I didn't have one or three, hens would get to fighting and tear each other up. Now the rooster polices the hen squabbles. Also, he does a good job of warning them to take cover when there are hawks about.

I very much don't rear my roosters to be lap pets. I've heard from too many people who had loving juveniles that grew up to be monsters. I want mine to have a good healthy respect for me and stay far away from me and the kids. Usually, I just leave them strictly alone and they leave me alone and that works very well. I won't keep a rooster that shows aggression towards humans.

1 person likes this.
  10. Melabella

Jun 2, 2011
    Walking on Sunshine,

Thanks for the very helpful post. I think that sounds like just the way I will should try to approach it. I picked him up last night before they went to sleep to locate them all to their brand new coop and run. He tolerated it fine, but I agree with your outlook. I would love it if one of the hens took to me, and wanted to be my friend, but I also realize I can't push it or make it happen, I guess they would have to want it. The two Gold Buffs seem to be the friendliest, but still don't seem to enjoy me picking them up. Perhaps when they get older. One of the barred rocks is a bit of a loner, and also seems to be the most intelligent. She always figures things out first. She will come by me and make all sorts of cooing noises, and look at me and observe. Still doesn't want to be picked up too much.

Do they all seem to settle as they get older. They are only 9 weeks, and still seem so skittish at times.

Have a great day everyone!
    Would still love to hear about any one else's experience with unplanned Roo's in their shipments.

MB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by