Interested in learning how to process (hands-on)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by St-Hubert, Jun 24, 2010.

1. St-Hubert

St-Hubert Chicken Convert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Hi, there! I figured this was the right place to post this, but if not, I humbly apologize and ask for proper guidance from the Mods.

Right now, my wife and I are raising five chickens for egg-laying purposes. We are probably not going to get into meat chickens any time in the near future, but we are looking into raising quail for eggs and meat. I realize that chickens are more suited for a one-bird meal, just not sure it's feasible for us at the moment. I am not queasy about killing things....just a bit leery that I wouldn't be able to kill something I raised, if that makes sense. I am interested in learning how to process chicken, though, in case we ever go that route.
    I'm also very interested in learning about quail...there is a ton of helpful info on this forum about raising, caring for, and even processing quail, and that's been very helpful. What I'd like is to see someone's farm or home setting where they raise quail as dual-purpose birds. They are, I have heard, a bit harder to get attached to, so I am thinking it would be easier when the culling takes place.

I am in Anniston, AL....about 50 miles from Birmingham and about 90 from Atlanta. This may sound like a strange request, but I am looking for folk in the area willing to show off their set-ups....both chicken and quail. The chicken for the processing, and the quail for the basic necessities and the like. I will be more than willing to do hands-on learning when it comes to the processing of either bird, too. I hope that doesn't sound too odd. I'd really like to see if I CAN kill and process a bird that's already destined for the table before I jump in and start raising my own. I am not asking to take away any of the birds I process....I am just looking for hands-on experience.
    If there's anyone within about 100 miles or so of Anniston, please drop me a PM if you'd be willing to teach/show/humour me. If I am way out of line asking something like this, please also let me know!

Thank you all.

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    This would be a great experience if you could make it work... In the meantime you might want to look at the post by frugel entitled " Killing, Plucking, Eviserating and cutting up your chicken. " He did a really good tutorial with photos and explanation. I haven't tried it yet, but after studying that thread, I feel a lot more ready... Good Luck!

3. St-Hubert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Thank you! I'll go look it up now. [​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Also check out You Tube. Theres many many excellent videos on processing chickens on there. This is only one of many:

5. St-Hubert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Thanks also for the YouTube link! I'll take some time this weekend (when I can get to the computer for a few hours) to check for more!

That post by Frugal was brilliant! Thank you again for the name to search for, Lesa.

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Wish you were closer I have three HUGE BBB turkeys to do soon and love to "help" folks with hands on training ....

7. St-Hubert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Quote:Hmmm.....Indiana's not *that* far away! [​IMG]
    Thank you, though....I wish I was closer as well!

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Hmmm.....Indiana's not *that* far away! [​IMG]
    Thank you, though....I wish I was closer as well!

I really do , that way I could steal some of your Steampunk stuff.... LOL

9. St-Hubert

Apr 6, 2010
    Anniston, AL
    Quote:Hehehehe!
    Well, I Google Mapped it, and you are about 8 hours away driving-time....so...yeah....wee bit far.
    So, my Steampunk stuff is safe. For now. [​IMG]

10. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by