interested in quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FriendlyFlyer, Feb 14, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I would stick to what the man told you. If he has been raising quail for a while I think it would be wise to listen. Plus, quail are game birds and require a higher amount of protein than chickens. On the other hand, if you would like to give the chicken food a try, go for it, I would just make ure you have the other feed on hand just in case. Good luck! And tell me how it goes!

2. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    $6.00 IS REALLY HIGH FOR CORTURNIX QUAIL IN OUR AREA, MOST ADULTS SELL FOR $2-3.50 EACH. AS A RULE, THEY NEED A 28-30% PROTEIN FOOD, USUALLY CHICKEN FEED IS ABOUT 16-18%.

3. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

$3 is the typical price for coturnix, you can get eggs fairly cheap as well. You should check your local laws to ensure release is legal, and you may need a permit.

4. bckyrdchknluvr

bckyrdchknluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Coturnix are not good birds for hunting. If you want to use them for hunting, try to find Bob Whites. Although you will need to check the laws in your area. Where I am from people typically sell their point of lay Coturnix for $25.00 for three hens and one roo.

5. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Hi Swapper and [​IMG].

Not sure where your location is, but you can see from the previous post Coturnix have a big price range, in my area $2.50 is an ave for an adult laying bird. I agree they do look super cool, probably why I've got close to 300 of them, in at least 10 different colors. Not telling you that to be boastful, but telling you that so hopefully it will give credence to what I'm about to say.

First they are awesome to look at and taste very good too. Fry up like nobody's business. As far as hunting goes, even if you get permission to release, they don't fly well. They do not have the stamina that a bobwhite has, they probably wouldn't even flush. f they did they would look like a dude firecracker that lost his ump. They are also not the smartest bird in the cage either. Since they have been domesticated for so long they have no idea what wild is and chances are wouldn't live through the night. Between being eaten by predators they have no innate ability to forage for food on their own and would also die.

Talking about food. Being game birds, they need at least 24% Game bird starter. Dumor isn't my favorite brand, but if it's what you got, buy the 24% I know they make it. Chicken feed doesn't give them the nutrition they need at all and corn is also bad for them. A respected breeder I know experimented with corn in their diet and when he dressed them out they had a nasty fat layer on them, not good for the birds at all in large amounts. I will admit on very cold days, I will throw a handful out because the energy they use to digest it will help keep them warm, but it is a small amount in addition to their normal rations.

I've said a lot, but truly want quail enthusiast to be successful and have a great experience with the birds as well as the birds live a healthy life from hatch to dispatch.

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Does this one belong in the joke section too? hmm

7. swapper

swapper New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    I'm dead serious I'm a professional shot with my daisy - Jack Wakenfield

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011