Interested in raising chochins...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by vicschics, Apr 26, 2009.

1. vicschics

vicschics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    We have fallen in love with the cochin breed...we would like to start raising them. We have l blue cochin rooster and he's the best...[​IMG]:

Any valuable tips or sidenotes to getting started from the ground up with this breed??? TIA

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Try to buy birds or eggs from a good breeder not a hatchery. There is a world of difference in Cochins from most hatcheries. Not saying they are not great too but it is always better to start with a good breeder who breeds to ABA standards.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Definitely buy from a breeder, and only take a certain amount of money. They are quite addicting! I'm already looking for another variety and I've only had mine for a week!

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Get ready for the ride of your life!! [​IMG] First you start with one color...then add one. That's enough for a while...until you go to your first show and see some GORGEOUS cochins...of another color...and of course, you MUST have them too...

...that's how the disease starts...and there is no known treatment!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. vicschics

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    You guys are the best!!![​IMG] Never even would have thought to go to breeders vs. hatcheries. Yes, they are very addicting...we've only had this one for 2 weeks and we're hooked.

Oldtimegator-now this is a disease I can live with!!!![​IMG]

6. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    I have black, blue, and splash...and they are great mommies. They are hatching Silkie babies for me [​IMG]

7. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Are you doing bantam or standards?

8. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both bantam and standard cochins. I started out with hatchery birds. My roo is very nice looking, but the hens though pretty aren't small for standards. The bantams I've gotten have come from a breeder, and now I've started ordering hatching eggs to improve my flock. I'd like to start breeding them. There are some great breeders out there. Try this site for breeders http://cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com/

Sonja

9. vicschics

Apr 23, 2009
    Kentland, Indiana
    I am kind of leaning toward the bantam but I love them all. Is one better than the other? I'm learning a lot from this board about the breed. Thanks everyone for the valuable info.[​IMG]

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I'm so use to having bantams that I was sort of relieved to get some big birds for once. I have a black large fowl cochin rooster. He is 3 weeks old on Thursday and already he is biger then any other chicken I have in the brooder room and some of them are older then he is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by