Interesting advice....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessicaroo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jessicaroo

jessicaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Last month I received an order of chicks from McMurray, upon arrival, 14 of my 16 bantams I ordered were dead, or on their last breath :( it sucked. We disposed of the dead ones. The following week I got a call from a friend saying she had heard about our dead loss and had mentioned it to her friend that raises chickens. The friend told her to pass the following suggestion on to me... I'm curious to see if any of you have heard this before...
    She said if I ordered more chicks and they came DOA, put them on a cookie sheet, turn my oven on to 200-250 and put them in the oven with the door open and watch as they will come "back to life" (if you will). She said chickens can become so still and distressed from shipping that they appear dead. Now, this sounds so crazy to me.... But I am so curious to know if anyone has done this before and what the results were! (Note: I have NOT tried this ;)

2. farmhand

farmhand Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    No ones heard of this? :)

4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I had never heard of this. I would recommend reaching out to your local vet who would treat chickens. Let us know what they come back with - it would be very interesting to hear. [​IMG]

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have found some that were so cold that I thought they were dead, but just before I got ready to toss them, they moved, so I heated them up and they came back to life. Dead is dead and there is no coming back from it.

I would never put them in an oven!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  6. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    I would think a heating blanket with a towel over it would be better advice if there is any validity to what they were saying... oven 200 degrees? That's nuts.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Exactly! I use warmed towels on a heating pad set to low.

8. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thanks for sharing! I thought it was crazy sounding too! But to each their own ;) heating pad and a warm towel sounds like a good idea too. I don't plan on ordering more chicks this year, but will remember some of these tips to try if need be. Can't hurt! :)

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't bother if rigor mortis has set in, lol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_mortis

10. jessicaroo

Feb 1, 2013
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Lol good advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by