Interesting article about chlorinated chickens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JennsPeeps, Aug 1, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I just read that one. It was kinda disturbing and made me glad that I quit buying chicken from the store.

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Sorry, off topic....

Jenn, you're in the meat birds thread? Welcome to my guilty pleasure.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Yum, I'll have to remember to dip my homegrown birds in the swimming pool!

[​IMG]
    -Kim

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    NOW...why would the USDA put limits on drinking water at 4 ppm and allow 50 ppm for sanitizing chickens?? Isn't chlorine a known carcinigen??

I'm so frustrated with this article!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thinking of raising some Cornish! [​IMG]

6. Dennis1979

Dennis1979 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I love the way, whenever the government/industry cooperative is faced with a health risk in the food supply, their answer is to just douse it with another deadly chemical. As if bad nutrition wasn't enough, our food chain and water supply is being delivered to us completely contaminated. Just do a search for the health risks associated with chlorine in drinking water. You will find some scary stuff there too. You don't just have to drink city water to get sick, just bathe in it or be in the same house as someone who bathes in it. Municipal water supplies have been treated with chlorine for more than 100 years. In that time, surely scientists have discovered safer ways to purify water, right? Yes, but not cheaper, so we continue to get poisonous water... and chickens.

Dennis

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Yup and it's illegal in Germany.

8. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I can't wait until my newest coop is done - it will have a "cell" just for meat chickens. (it is 8x24 - split into three cells).

We eat a lot of chicken in our house, and I have been reading some of the stuff written about what they do to those chickens. YUK!! Icky! Ptooey!!!

just a Q, though... is it wiser to start meat chickens (from chicks) in the spring? We have mild winters here, but even so, it gets down to 20-something at night (colder in January) average during the day in winter is 35 to 40-ish.

I was thinking of putting probably 15 or so meat birds into an 8x8 cell - is that too few or too many? I know they grow differently than egg layers. (I was planning probably Cornish Rock or Cornish Cross, unless someone has a better meat chicken to tell me about <g>).

Peace -
    Meriah

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:We are going off topic but the original poster is a cool chick. [​IMG]

People raise Cornish now because it's easier to keep them warm. Plus farmers
    would raise their meat birds in the spring and wummer when food is plentiful. They
    would then cull off thier meaties and unproductive hens and only keep a small
    breeding stock through winter.

If you want a good meat bird that's tougher than Cornish I suggest
    http://www.jmhatchery.com/
    We have 22 of his birds right now and they are healthy and getting fatter
    every day. Search on Freedom Rangers for more.

After you are done processing please don't put them in chlorine. A nice brine
    will do fine. [​IMG]

10. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Thanks -

Sorry for going off topic, <sheepish grin>, I tend to just jump in and start chatting.

Peace -
    Meriah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by