1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Interesting article about types of turkeys - midge white & bourbon red

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Linda in San Diego, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
  2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I forgot to ask, how long does it take for a turkey to become plate ready?

3. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    Generally speaking about 30 weeks for a Heritage Breed turkey.

A Great White or BB breasted is about 20 weeks.

But it depends on How large a turkey you want for the table. At 17 weeks a BB Breasted male can go 17 pounds dressed.

From our experiance Bourbon Red are extreamly high strung, and darting in every which direction. Last night the got scared by a Gull flying over head.

Slates are some what better, but not much.

Also in most cases it appears that free ranging on grass improves the taste of the turkey.

The "Butter Ball turkey" I assume is a Great White commercially raised. Which means no grass or free ranging.

Tom

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i've been trying for months to find the midget white to no avail. i'm suppose to be getting midget white eggs in the spring though. the midget whites tend to go broody very often, from what i've read and so eggs can be hard to come by. thanks to a fellow byc'er, though, i'll be getting my narri turkey eggs either today or tomorrow. woot! i heard they grow to be very large and are very very docile. which is exactly what i need since my son is only 6 and big birds scare him. LOL

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Our Bourbon Reds aren't flighty at all, they are very curious though. To the point of being hard to get any work done in their area as they are underfoot so much. I was building a new gate and a couple of the hens were "helping me out" and I just knew I was going to hit one with a hammer. They would check out the nail, check out the hammer, check out the gate, roost on me. It was shooo them away and hurry up and maybe just maybe I could hit the nail twice before they came back and put their heads between the hammer and nail.
    The midget whites are great table birds as the article says. If anybody is interested in eggs from either breeds we have a list started for 2009 egg sales, send to [email protected]. Here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve in NC

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I'm on the list!!! Yes, we want BR turkeys! Finding that I'm having trouble now even standing the wait. And of course I'm after some of Steve's cochins as well.

After playing with a few juvenilles at the local fair, we're both captivated. Silly things. Can't wait.

I started looking at heritage breeds last year and it just makes sense.

7. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    "Everybody loves a turkey"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by