1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Interesting article on commercial egg production

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stoneunhenged, May 13, 2011.

1. stoneunhenged

stoneunhenged Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    USA
    I've never been inside a commercial egg facility, but this is an interesting article on the current state of egg production in the US.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Ugh why did I even look??, how depressing, what I wouldn't give to see them outside digging in the yard

3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    It is so sad to see these birds crammed in little cages. I agree with Bengalcats1 what I would give to see them outside in grass!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Thank you for providing this link to the cameras.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I told myself not to click on the link but I did it anyway. That's so sad. [​IMG]

6. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:I told myself not to click on the link but I did it anyway. That's so sad. [​IMG]

I told myself the same thing, but it's like an accident, you know you shouldn't look but you do anyway

7. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I didn't really care for the accompanying article. I know it sounds wonderful to buy cage-free eggs, but the hens in the cages are healthier than the cage free ones. At least when a caged hen dies, she's more likely to be taken out rather than eaten by her companions. Also, in cage-free productions, some of the major losses are parasites - mites and lice and worms eating the birds alive. Not a pretty picture.

I know we'd all like to think that cage free means rolling hills of green grass and lots of space to dust bathe, but that's just not the case. It's just a new nightmare.

8. buffalogal

buffalogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    Quote:Agreed. Commercial "cage free" means that instead of three, four or five birds crammed in a little cage, it's 100,000+ crammed into a big cage. Still too many birds in the minimum allowable space. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by