Interesting article on commercial egg production

stoneunhenged

Songster
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
USA
I've never been inside a commercial egg facility, but this is an interesting article on the current state of egg production in the US.

Last edited:
Ugh why did I even look??, how depressing, what I wouldn't give to see them outside digging in the yard

Quote:
I told myself not to click on the link but I did it anyway. That's so sad.
hit.gif

Quote:
I told myself not to click on the link but I did it anyway. That's so sad.
hit.gif

I told myself the same thing, but it's like an accident, you know you shouldn't look but you do anyway

I didn't really care for the accompanying article. I know it sounds wonderful to buy cage-free eggs, but the hens in the cages are healthier than the cage free ones. At least when a caged hen dies, she's more likely to be taken out rather than eaten by her companions. Also, in cage-free productions, some of the major losses are parasites - mites and lice and worms eating the birds alive. Not a pretty picture.

I know we'd all like to think that cage free means rolling hills of green grass and lots of space to dust bathe, but that's just not the case. It's just a new nightmare.

Quote:
Agreed. Commercial "cage free" means that instead of three, four or five birds crammed in a little cage, it's 100,000+ crammed into a big cage. Still too many birds in the minimum allowable space.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom