Interesting behavior I noticed today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mister B, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mister B

Mister B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2013
    NW Alabama
    Today I was out watching my chicks. Great weather, a little cloudy about 70 in NW Alabama today. Anyway, good weather to be out and about. So, I noticed one hen was walking around the rooster. When she got in front of him, she pecked his chest. He just looked at her, and she did it several more times. I never noticed her eating a bug or pulling out a feather. Any clue as to what she might have been doing? Right before this behavior, he appeared to be planning on breeding her, she hunkered down, but he seemed to change his mind. I keep seeing new things they do. Cool critters.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe she was asking if he had a headache. [​IMG] Cool critters, indeed!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees, cool critters....wish it wasn't so cool here, I miss my observation time...too cold out to stay and watch them in the coop for long.

4. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I have noticed that some of my hens will peck at the roosters tail feathers. He then immediately mates her. Personally, I think she is letting him know that she is offering herself to him. Maybe that's the case with yours as well.

I love watching them. Chicken behavior is so fascinating to me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by