interesting breed confusion....bantam cochin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunket77, Nov 20, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    I just found out that Bantam Cochin's are actually NOT cochin's at all, they are Pekin's. And they are different breeds and have several differences from the cochin. They are a true bantam and not a small version of a standard cochin!
    I thought this was interesting and thought I would share! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm pretty sure pekins and cochins are the same thing. They call them pekins in other countries.
    What kind of differences would there be?

3. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I just found out that Bantam Cochin's are actually NOT cochin's at all, they are Pekin's. And they are different breeds and have several differences from the cochin. They are a true bantam and not a smal version of a bantam!
    I thought this was interesting and thought I would share!

HappyMtn is right, Cochins and Pekins are basically the same thing they just call them Pekins in other countries. They have a working standard in other counties that vary however the basics are close to the standard in the US. The bantam cochin is the smaller verison of the LF cochin here in the US, not sure what you mean by a "true bantam" and not a small version of a bantam??

Definition of the "Bantam Chicken"----Miniature fowl one fifth to one forth of the weight of the large fowl represented, some of which have no large counterpart.

Shari​

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Sorry about the typo I fixed it...

I learned it from a book call "Choosing and Keeping Chickens" by Chris Graham in association with Practical Poultry Magazine. It peaked my interest so I found these websites...

http://www.freewebs.com/professorchickenhasevenmorebreeds/pekins.htm
    http://www.wilkamdai.com/breed_of_the_month_chicken_Pekin.html
    http://www.pekinbantams.com/

My point is that they are not a bantam cochin I agree that is what they are called here in the US but they are not a bantam of the cochin breed. They are a "true bantam" which means they do not have a standard counterpart. Like say the bantam orpington which is a small version of the LF orpington . They are like the serama which does not have a LF counterpart. As far as what the differences in them from the LF cochin I am trying to find out. The book says " ....it is generally agreed that the Pekin has no connection with the Cochin -apart from their similar origins- and that it is a breed in it's own right. The Pekin is not an exact miniature version of the Cochin." I just found it very interesting ans wanted to share with my friends here on BYC

5. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- you're right- they are not exactly a miniature counterpart.
    The bantams are more round than the LF, they mature faster, and all of my banties even lay different color eggs than my LF cochins.
    I'm still not convinced that they are not cochins, however.

I'll check those links in a bit, being attacked by a toddler that thinks he's Optimus Prime.....

6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    LOL! too cute! well I just found it interesting...

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I was told at one time that the Bantam Cochin and the Pekin were close but two different breeds..
    If you go to the Cochin International Club page they recognise a large fowl and a bantam and the APA recognise a large fowl and a bantam all so..

http://cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com/

Chris

8. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Pekins do not look like Cochins.
    Pekins are very much tilted downward to the front, Cochins are more upright.
    Every Country in the World ,except the US & Canada, differentiates between the two.
    David

9. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Quote:Sooooo...........where can I get some Pekins? [​IMG]

10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    England! [​IMG]