Interesting...can they be "jealous"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aschenfire, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I know jealous might not be the right word to attach to an animal. BUT my obvious top-chicken, Bunny (Easter Egger) has begun running the rest of the flock off when they come to stand near the fence if I am outside talking to them. She will run/flap from wherever she is, and peck/pounce the offenders just til they run away if they are near me. Today she was placing herself between me and the other birds. Do I have a bodyguard???? LOL!

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Do you feed her small amounts of food by hand?

3. Aschenfire

Feb 8, 2012
    They get most of their treats in a bowl once I am inside the pen, but it is a possibility she thinks I might hand her something through the fence. Anyone else standing there would get HER snacks first. I can see that being her motivation. [​IMG]

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My birds, and bluegill, will do same when a food source can be defended and competition is not kin / flockmates. If more food than can be defended or not enough to be worth effort, then food / you are not defended. Having you through fence makes you easier to defend as a potential food source than if your where in a situation where competition can come from all directions.

5. Aschenfire

Feb 8, 2012
    Sooo it's not me and my sparkling personality then? *lol* Thanks for the input, it makes a ton of sense. The same little girl has become a lot more approachable in the past week too. Today she sat at the fence when my black silkie was getting love, and she kept pressing closer... At first she softly "bawkbawkbawked" when I petted her, but she didn't move away. She quieted down and just sat there. These guys are funny!

6. Jubilee1111

Jubilee1111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I think in general this is resource guarding, you are a resource for a ton of things... food, water, safety, attention. Some chickens want your attention all focused on them, especially if you've handled them a bunch as youngsters. So, your sparkling personality may have a little to do with this, they wouldn't be vying for your attention if you were a big 'ol meanie [​IMG]

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not sure this is completely to do with food. I have one dominique who is very clearly jealous of any attention I give to any other chicken. She is not the head of the pecking order either. If I pet any of the chickens that are lower than she is, she'll come running and initially she would attack my hand wanting me to stop and then try to snuggle up to me. She will also jump and peck the chicken I was giving attention. After a few good whacks she stopped the actual attacking but she still comes running everytime she thinks I'm too cozy with anybody else. She does this whether I have food or not. I have always fed mine out of my hand but I've never favored her in particular. They all get their chance and choice.

This is also the chicken who incessantly makes noise (screeching). She just never stops. Yesterday I witnessed something interesting. One of the Light Brahmas (who might be above her in the pecking order, I'm not sure) gave her an irritated peck on the head as she was screaming . That stopped her in her tracks and she was silent for ohhh, five minutes maybe. I'm hoping the rest of the flock will get fed up with the screaming and will discipline her into silence.

One can hope...

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Resource guarding is better logic than food guarding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by