Interesting cross breed chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Donnigan, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Donnigan

Donnigan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2016
    I have alot of chickens but not very many of one breed. I want to incubate about 40 eggs next year and to be able to get that many good eggs in a week I'll have to cross breed. I'm curious to see what I'll get! What do you think would make an interesting mix? I'm definitely going to breed my Speckled Sussex hen with my Buff Orpington rooster. Hopefully I'll get a polka-dot Orpington! Lol! Here is my Penny. I think she's a Barred Rock Buff Orpington Cross.[​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    She is very beautiful. Good luck on your breeding!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I second that _Penny is very beautiful

4. bullrunslabs

bullrunslabs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I hatched several chicks that were fathered by a Blue Orpington Roo and Easter Egger mothers, as well as Black Copper Marans mothers. They turned out beautiful. I am very excited to see what color eggs they start laying in the next month or so.

5. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

They will probably lay olive eggs! I had a beautiful hen that was 50% easter egger, 25% leghorn and 25% production red( i think). She layed a white egg with a pale blue tint! She was white with blue legs and had some blackish blue feathers on her back! she died years ago but i still have her mother that is about 8 now and still laying eggs so i think I'll breed her with my rooster that is identical to Peeps father. I also still have her aunt! I assume they will be around for a few more years as their mom lived to be nearly 12!

1 person likes this.
  6. bullrunslabs

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I am hoping for olive eggs! I just love a colorful egg basket. Your birds lay quite a while! My oldest two are only 5, one of which has mostly stopped laying, and is blind in one eye. She is our "nursery Grandma". We put the moms with new hatches in with her and she helps the chicks understand pecking orders.

7. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016

I also love a colorful egg basket( or coffee can!). new customers are always so amazed when they get eggs for the first time and see all the colors! One of them made some sort of art picture out of the blue egg shells! Lol!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. bullrunslabs

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sorry he is blurry, as usual, it looked much better on my phone. But this is one of my cockerels from my blue orpington roo and my easter egger hen. I think he is quite striking.

9. Donnigan

Apr 30, 2016
    He is gorgeous!

10. bullrunslabs

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I hatched three that look very similar, he is one of them. The other two are a little more shy. We also hatched a female that looks similar, and another who just has a bit of copper in her hackles, but is solid blue otherwise. We also have a cuckoo Marans x Easter egger who looks like a little barred rock hen with the beard and feathered shanks. We have two top knot crosses, one solid blue and the other red with blue underneath. I also really like the Columbian wyandotte x araucana crosses my grandma is raising now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by