Interesting Goat kid question/surprise **GRAPHIC PICS PG4**

Peep Talk

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Fort Loudon, PA
Well, it all started with me wanting to find a bottle baby goat to raise with my family to keep as a pet. I found someone who was getting rid of a bottle billy because they didn't have the need for more males in the herd. So, I got this little guy at just 24 hours old and he has been a great little dude to have around the house. He has been eating and eliminating very well and has started gaining weight. He plays and runs through the house with my 3 year old son and they are just best buds.

Now, here comes my interesting surprise...

My little goat is not a he, but a she with boy parts...this little goat has an inactive penis and two testicles...but has girl parts that are active that he/she urinates from. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? I had completely thought he was a boy until I caught him going to the bathroom and instantly knew that boys would not be peeing from that area!

So, what can I do? I was hoping to get him neutered (turned into a wether) but now I'm worried that could cause problems??? Also, what would cause this? I have phone calls into vets, but they all told me that they would have to research it as they haven't heard of such a thing. They have heard of them having both parts in one general area, but not both complete sets of genetalia. Ugh! My first goat and I end up with something so confusing.
sad.png
Maybe I should go play the lottery
smile.png

This is Zeigen...he is a Boer/Nubian cross and his birthday is 1/9/2011 at 12:03 pm...and he no longer stays in that box...that is just what I brought him home in...he now just runs around the house following me where ever I go.
smile.png

55434_keystone1.jpg

His bottle is different now too...I actually have a livestock bottle with a lamb/kid nipple on it. That was the bottle he was given to me with. I'm willing to bet the person I got him from didn't know anything about hand rearing a goat kid.
roll.png

55434_keystone2.jpg

Last edited:
1st congratulations on your new goat. I got my 1st goats in June. The baby is adorable. Keep us informed please if you will. Never heard of that. But I am new. Good luck.

Quote:
Thank you Barred Babies! You wouldn't even know that anything is different with him unless you really paid super close attention.
smile.png
I will take some more pictures today. Right now he is curled up in his blankie at my feet
smile.png

My 4-H leader had one born like this once unfortunately she also sent it off to freezer camp so I couldn't tell you if it could have developed problems or not as it got older..but if yours is growing and you only wanted it as a pet with no interest in breeding then as long as it's healthy and good natured then it might not be anything but an interesting oddity in your family pet.

Quote:
Thank you! I wasn't planning on using him/her for breeding and obviously not showing since he is a cross breed. I just wanted a pet to have around and I have liked goats for quite some time and have done my research. Only problem with the research is that it didn't cover this type of thing at all. He seems very healthy and is an absolute sweetheart. I haven't experienced any nasty behavior or quirks as of yet but that's a big reason why I would like to get him neutered...I don't want the possibility of testosterone being an issue in behavior.

Jacklynn and Eenie, thank you so much! He is absolutely adorable and just melts my heart! He has even managed to capture DH's heart too even though he always said he didn't care much for goats. Funny how he comes home from work now and before he even takes his coat off he has to walk over and pet him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom