interesting homemade bator....?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shmooborp, Apr 21, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

ok so i have this big colman cooler that i dont use anymore.... ists well insulated and actually has alot of the same disign aspects of a mini fridge... do you think i could turn this into a bator... my old styrofom ome jsut isnt stable enough.... i was hoping this would be better... [​IMG] tell me what you think.. i will post pictures soon....

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Do a search for Homemade Incubators... I've made the one in Miss Prissy's thread, and it works really well... it's a Coleman! [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Speckledhen has a nice one on page 8 of Incubation and hatching... it's the Homemade Cooler/Fridge-a-bator Hatcher Instructions/Diagram

Or just do the search in blue under her topic

4. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    I didn't know it at the time, but I had modeled my home-made incubator after one of MissPrissy's.

Check it out at this link:

It seems to be working a lot better than my LG incubator. The humidity and temperature have been extremely stable. The only unseen additions would be the airholes and dimmer.

5. shmooborp

that was a great vid! grill you the bomb. i tottaly almost bought that walmart cooler when i made my first bator... but thought it might have been to small..lolo.. great vid,,... lol.. are u a teacher? noticed the class room.

6. Grillmaster33

Grillmaster33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Triad, NC
    Thanks. It is pretty small. But it was constructed for "The Lone Ranger," that egg that won't quit!

And yes indeed. I am a teacher. This started as a class project and it's gotten the best of me. Some of my students tell me that they've been saying "No" to eggs lol.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Check out the link in my sig line. I'm using both of mine right now. They're working great, better than the HovaBator, actually.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine is in my signature. Plus there is the bread box bator and potato box bator you can search for.

9. shmooborp

thanks.... specaledhen... your page says that it like no longer exists or something... and thaks missprissy... i made my old one acording to your cickbator plans.. but my styrofome cooler was way cheeper made compared to yours.. so it leaked and didnt stay constant.. so im going to just transfer over to the bigger cooler and combine yours and specaledhens plans... should be great.. im gonna be hatching some silky mix banty eggs in it... so i hope it works...lol [​IMG] im still trying to get pics up..lol [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. shmooborp

ok gots some pics ! first is the profile.. second is inside... third is the nice lock.. helps keep things sealed up.. and tamper free.. lol [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope its gonna work..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by