Interesting idea to replace sutures in surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by valsey, Sep 30, 2010.

1. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    I was reading another poultry forum and thought this was a great idea. Instead of sewing up a bird after they did a surgery they glued her up! They superglued the wound together...keeping in mind, not to glue yourself to the bird. I think also that my doctor used a sort of glue on a nose surgery I had.

Thought I'd pass that along.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    While Superglue was used in trauma situations in Vietnam so that soldiers could be 'put back together' prior to seeing a surgeon, it isn't recommended for run of the mill surgeries.

one of the ingredients of superglue is cyanide which makes it toxic to animals.

For small lesions in an emergency and when no sutures are available it will do.

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Wikipedia says - Cyanoacrylate is the generic name for cyanoacrylate based fast-acting adhesives such as methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like SuperGlue and Krazy Glue), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in the veterinary glues Vetbond and LiquiVet and skin glues like Xoin, Indermil and Histoacryl). 2-octyl cyanoacrylate is a medical grade glue encountered under various trade names; e.g., LiquiBand, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal, Dermabond, Orabase, Surgi-Lock and Nexaband. This was developed to be non-toxic and less irritating to skin tissue.

4. valsey

valsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Hmmm. I stand corrected. Hopefully I'll never need either method

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:But it looks like these will work.[​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

some feed stores and even drug stores will carry some of the medical grade glues! Its pretty easy to get your hands on if you know where to look. It works great as well. I have used critter suture glue on myself before when I've cut my fingers or feet plenty of times instead of wasting all that money on a doctor - though of course I'm crazy like that [​IMG] and wouldn't reccomend others to do it - lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by