Interesting magazine

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BackwoodsPrepperX3, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BackwoodsPrepperX3

BackwoodsPrepperX3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    You all have probably known about this magazine for a while now, but I found MOTHER EARTH NEWS the other day at the feed store. It has really good articles in it about being a self sufficient home owner. I love it.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I like the Urban Farm magazine, it is so packed full of good ideas and articles. Kinda reminds me of the Mother Earth News back in the 70s. I have an incomplete library of the Mother Earth News starting in the 70s. Wish I had them all.. [​IMG]

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I gave up on Mother Earth News and went with Backwoods Home magazine. I feel that MEN strayed away from their origins of self sufficiently and begin serving up their subscribers to the advertisers.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I gave up on Mother Earth News and went with Backwoods Home magazine. I feel that MEN strayed away from their origins of self sufficiently and begin serving up their subscribers to the advertisers.

It does have some nice articles in it and hints. But yeah I do agree with darkmatter about the advertising. Still some useful stuff in there. Used to have almost no advertising in it.

Its crazy the stuff in those old magazines. Back in the 70s when the gas prices went up. And people started worrying about the state of the world. Then I guess along the way something got*forgotten*.Some of the things they put in there are just so appropriate for today. Almost like they profiseed (sp?) the future.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Here is one> March 1970> "Special Issue $1.35" [​IMG] "How to get Out of the City and BACK TO THE LAND"

"table of contents

1 Why we moved to the country
    2 A letter to wives
    3 What sort of place in the country do you want?
    4 Setting up a homestead
    5 Houses especially designed for country living
    6 Plan a "Harvest Room" with your wife
    7 Finding a suitable place
    8 ........
    Fresh Eggs....New easy way to raise tender chicken.......Geese grow on grass.......Turkeys can be a profitable sideline......Ducks are easy to raise.....Plans for a small barn....Sqwuab....Rabbits-8-14 cents a pound......The miniature Dairy.....Our little sugar factory.....Winter gardens, cold frames,small greenhouses......Grow your own fishhh.......... " all in 84 pages [​IMG] lots of B and W pictures (crazy old) and diagrams.

Its fun reading them.

NO. 10 July 1971 > inside cover quotes "" Inasmuch as man and his influence on his world is now so total, we actually have entered into a new phase of history. The consequences of man's abuse on his own life-support state, his planet, are immediately felt. And as the environment becomes more serously damaged, the consequences of further abuse will all-the-more-rapidly become apparent." RON COBB "

NO 23 September 1973 > "" Since the beginning of time each generation has fought nature. Now in the life span of a single generation, we must turn and become the protector of nature." Jacques Cousteau"

NO 11 September 1971 > ""We pay farmers not to grow crops; why not pay the Army Corps of Engineers not to build dams? Let them build sewage treatment centers instead.'" Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas in a speech at the University of Kansas"

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  6. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    I let my subscription lapse. While there was some useful information - I found that alot of the articles on off grid living etc.. were geared toward people whose finances are well above mine. Everytime I'd open a new issue and start reading I'd be like , dang, wish I could do that. Besides, who needs to read anything other than BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by