Interesting....New chicks / new advice from the hatchery

kritter11

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Marion, IN
Just got an order of chicks from Privett Hatchery and included w/ the packing slip was a note recommending I NOT add antibiotics to the water (unless they are sick). Instead they suggest probiotic powder.

I'm betting it's due to antibiotic resistance issues.

Just an FYI...

Very interesting....I don't add anything to my chick water and they've always been just fine. The only thing I might add, if I thought they were stressed would be vitamins/electrolites.....still, I've never had to do that.

I've never fed medicated chick starter either. My feed store didn't have it. All my chicks have been fine. I do keep their brooder pretty clean though......

Ahem...Not *all* TSC employees have / give bad advice. (I work @ one in IN)

Hatcheries have recommended adding terramycin for a few years...my point was it's interesting they're changing their tune NOW.

TSC suggests adding antibiotics b/c the HATCHERY suggests it to us....

Well, they're lucky to have you, kritter! Wish all of them had someone on staff who knew something about chickens! More often than not, they'll give advice, even when they're clueless. Thought about working there just so there would be someone who knew a tiny bit about the birds. I have seen hatcheries tell folks to give antibiotics, but that just never has made any sense at all to me. Really, do humans take antibiotics daily as a preventative? That makes about as much sense.

Edited to add: It's not just TSC, but most feedstores that seem to push Terramycin for everything. And that is probably one of the most useless antibiotics of all. Not strong enough for anything you'd really need an antibiotic for. No, folks, don't get on my case about this. I have six feedstores in my area and I've heard terrible advice from every single one of them, personally. Just wish they'd say they didn't know rather than give dumb and even dangerous advice to folks. Not trying to insult anyone here, just saying what I know from experience.

I agree wholeheartedly about feed stores / advice...Take it w/ a grain of salt.

The only thing I've had much luck clearing up w/ Terramycin is runny eyes in barnyard kittens.

I went into the TSC I now work at looking for Corid several years ago....The guy looked at me blankly, then says, "Cord is by the rope and chain" and points in the opposite direction from the animal health section.

I'm the only 'critter' person there, they will even call me at home to ask me stuff....it gets tiresome.

(I'm also the only one who'll clean out the chick troughs...heaven forbid they get a little chick poo on 'em...
roll.png
)

I've only asked about something one time in TSC. I was looking for liquid Corid and couldn't find it. When they asked what it was for, and I said coccidiosis, they kindly offered me Terramycin.
roll.png
They are opening a new one near me in Murphy, NC soon. I never buy anything there because of some of their policies, but gee, maybe I should get a job there. Hmm.

LOL @
(I'm also the only one who'll clean out the chick troughs...heaven forbid they get a little chick poo on 'em... roll )​

Back
Top Bottom