Interesting or Bad? Big Swollen Ear. Pictures!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by callsign222, Aug 11, 2011.

1. callsign222

callsign222 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    One of my 4+mo old Golden Wyandottes came out of the coop this morning with an ear area that's the size of a large marble. There's a small blood speck in the middle of it. It's quite swollen! She does not scratch it nor does she seem to be ill affected by it, though I caught her sleeping standing up out in the open which is rare, usually they huddle up somewhere. I can touch it, and she does not flinch. No other bird has this. Anyone have any ideas? Bug bite or some infection? What next?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's a nice girl, very mild mannered.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    looks like some sort of infection. Hopefully someone here will have advice on what to give her. Bless her heart.

3. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I have not seen anything like this. Is it soft, or does it feel hard? How is her balance? It is hard to tell it looks to me like it could be infected. I hope that some one else can give you advice

4. callsign222

Apr 4, 2011
    It feels like a blister would feel like on my body. Firm, but with give. Basically a swollen appendage.

5. callsign222

Apr 4, 2011
    A little whiter coloration today, but everything else the same.

6. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Is it in her ear? If so could you gently pull back her ear feathers and try and get some of the gunk out of there. Some warm compresses might not be a bad idea either.

Poor baby [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by