Interesting question... calling all breed experts... Update!!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shuizar209, Nov 5, 2010.

1. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    So I got my specialorder chicks from my feed store and im windering which are which. They are all chipmunk. I ordered 4 russian orloffs and 5 easter eggers. Both breeds have chipmunk chicks but what I was wondering was maybe there was a way to tell them apart? They both have muffs right?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I looked the Orloffs up on feathersite.com. Their chicks are reddish and yellow, with a dark red stripe on thier backs. You EEs could be brown, yellow, even grey or black, some with stripes and some not. You should be able to tell the difference even though they both have beards and muffs. Also, EEs tend to have green legs. I don't remember the color of Orloff legs.

3. shuizar209

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Ok so I discovered something. The four that were supposed to be orloffs have a small bump on the tip of their beak. Is that a characteristic? None of the others have this.

4. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Quote:Hm. perhaps that's their "egg tooth"? It falls off when they're a few days old.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers should have combs that, in most cases, will show three defined rows of bumps. Orloffs will have some odd "brain" or walnut looking combs that are rather folded and lumpy in appearance.

Russian Orloffs should always have yellow legs/feet. Easter Eggers usually have green legs/feet, but can also have yellow or slate colored legs/feet.

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Hm. perhaps that's their "egg tooth"? It falls off when they're a few days old.

Yeah the bumps are the end of the beak is their egg tooth, they use that to break through the shell and then they loose it. Can you post pics?

7. shuizar209

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Good news yellow legs... [​IMG]

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:All chicks legs are yellow though, unless they are black. Until a period of time, usually starting to change at a week to a few months old. Some are greenish at first, but a large part of the birds I've dealt with were always yellow. My OEGB's for example, they had yellow legs until they were feathered out good, then they turned solid white.

I would look at the comb, size (Orloffs should be significantly larger I think), they should have a distinct stance etc to them. If I remember correctly, they take after their Oriental game ancestry, which should give them a more upright carriage and longer legs yes? With pictures I could probably make a guess.

-Daniel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by