Interesting social dynamic in silkies/showgirls.

insiderart

Obviously Insane
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Arkansas
I noticed an interesting social dynamic in my silkie/showgirl flock. I've raised all of these from either eggs or days old chicks. They've usually grown up in groups of 4-6. And there is about 2-4 weeks between each new group and the last. So I have a group of 4 (5 month olds), 6 (4 month olds), 4 (3 month olds), and 1 ( 2 month old).

Silkie/showgirls are great. When it's time to introduce a new group, just toss them in. No one seems to mind.

Here's the interesting part. When they are allowed out to free range they segregate themselves into their individual subsets. If one chick from a subset gets stuck inside/outside it frets until it can get back with it's group (when I say stuck I mean, one is either outside or in and can't figure out how (even though the door is open) to get back out/in). I find it very interesting that each subset recognizes their pals.

This poses a dilemma for the singleton. She doesn't have any buddies with whom to learn the ropes. No one to cuddle with when she gets stuck downstairs (because she has learned how to go down the ramp, but not up.) Sad. Now the other chickens visit her upstairs when she stays up there and don't seem to pick on her. She just doesn't have a best friend like the others.

I've seen that behavior and it's so sad. What I do is get another chick or chicken or two from somewhere away from here and put them together till they bond if I have a single one. Then I move my flock to another area and put the newbies in the coop then bring the others back in after a day or two. I guess they think the newbies have dibs on the coop cause they rarely fuss with each other then.

Do you have any showgirls or eggs to sell? I'm in SW Mo. I could probably even come pick them up if you're not in southern Ark. I have a friend wanting some really bad and I'd love to surprise her.

Back
Top Bottom