Interesting Stall Dry info

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rubysmom, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I just talked to the stall dry rep and the DE in Stall Dry is food grade just in case anyone is interested.
    It contains food grade DE and red clay and thats it.
    He also said that it is perfectly safe to use on your compost pile as well.

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Good to know! I can't find DE in my area but I think my feed store has stall dry.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Yep! A lot of people are using it in their runs and coops. The red clay is supposed to "sweeten" things up. [​IMG]

4. Chickending

Chickending Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Minnesota
    I swear by it. I use it all the time and my feed store orders it just for me. Finding DE can be hard sometimes and this stuff really works, my hens even have been known to dust bathe in it. It reminds me of very fine cat litter.

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    DE worked great on all of my birds. I'm thankful my feed store carries it so I don't have to pay for shipping. Although paying for shipping might be cheaper than the cost of gas to go get it now.

6. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    That IS good to know....I can use it now in many more applications.
    Thanks for the info!

7. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    I am excited because I can't get the plain food grade DE so I would have to pay shipping. The dry stalll is carried in my farm store and is super cheap, $10 I think?

The consistency is different I hear, more like cat litter, less like flour. I heard some some folks were debating the breathing it in issue so maybe the heavier particles might be better for some.

The compost thing is cool too. We are having a heck of a fly problem this year so I definitely need to use something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by