Interesting thing about hen that won't lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fresheggs4u, Feb 14, 2011.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I have a small flock of about 24 birds. Of the 24 - 6 are roosters. I hatched them last summer. Since Thanksgiving the hens have not layed a single egg. So I followed a lot of advice - increased light, increased protein, feed then ceyenne pepper, dusted them for lice. Nothing seemed to work.

So on Friday evening I picked 4 roosters off the roost - two agressive ones and separarted them. Two were processed on Saturday.

Guess what - on Saturday the day after I separated the four rooster. My hens layed 4 eggs! Then on Sunday 6 eggs!!! And now today 10 eggs.

So I assume the stress of all the roosters, was keeping them from laying. Amazing the change. The only thing that changed this weekend was the separation of the roosters and hens. The weather didn't really change over the past week or so.

Image that!!!!!!

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Interesting. Do you think it was the roos or coincidence....?

3. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I think the roos - a neighbor had the same problem a couple of years ago and thinned out her roos. Egg production trippled for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by