Interesting....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by doghamstyluv95, Nov 7, 2007.

1. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    So we are getting a steady flow of eggs each day, usually 4-5 eggs(we have 9 hens). Today when my mom went to collect eggs, she found an egg about the size of a quarter and not bigger. Could this be a new hen laying an egg? My brahma bantam even lays bigger eggs and she is a little banty hen. I also have a golden campine who is small but don't they lay whitish eggs. This egg looked like my other Australorps egg(color). Which hens lay darker eggs, australorps or RIR's? I'm so confused right now because the egg is so small compared to the others and I'm wondering who could have laid it?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Wow, can you post a pic?

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I got a very small egg like that this year too. I think when the girls first start laying they can get some variations. This is probably a one-time deal, not a bird that will regularly lay small eggs.

A while back a bunch of people posted about these small eggs and someone suggested blowing the egg out and saving the shell.

4. doghamstyluv95

doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Ok here we go:
    In the carton with regular sized eggs:
    [​IMG]
    Next to a regular sized egg:
    [​IMG]
    me just holding it:
    [​IMG]

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

How CUTE!!! It is probably a pullet egg...the first one it has ever laid.

But please look for more experienced answers..my chickens haven't even started laying little eggs. [​IMG]

Tonya

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    That is tiny! I never got one that small even when my pillets first started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by