intergrate baby chick back into flock

vieques

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
I rescued a one day old chick when something happen to it's leg and the mother looked like she was going to kill it. These are wild chicken that live on our property, we feed them brecause we enjoy watching them but they are not tame. I took the chick in about 5 days ago, have been feeding it and keeping it in a box on my desk. She's much better now and getting around quite well. Her one leg sticks out at a funny angle but she limps along pretty good and I'm thinking once her wings develop a little more, having a bum leg won't be too much of a problem for her.
At some point I'd like to get her back into the flock but don't have any idea how to go about doing that. I'm hoping someone in the BYC family can help lead me though this process.
Her mother nests right outside the window of the room she's in. i think they might hear each other at night but I can't be sure. There is one other sibling.
There are also four other hens sitting on nest close by. Besides the nesting hens, all the others sleep in the trees along my property line pretty high up, maybe 30 in all including several roosters. I know it sounds like a zoo and sometimes it feels like one too. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know nothing about raising chickens and am scared of doing the wrong thing. Thanks.

That's a tough one. The thing I've had success with is finding a neutral area for the chicks. Add the chicks to the one already there without the mom in the new area. Then put them back together.

It looks like the chick has spradle leg. This can be fixed. Just to save myself some typing, type in spradle leg in the search bar and you will find instructions on fixing it. It's easy to do and won't cost you anything really. Let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom