Intergrating baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Missy60, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Missy60

Missy60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    Ok as some of you know I'm new to ducklings. I have a 1 year old girl peking duck and two 3 week old ducks. The babies are the domestic mallards, rogen or Ruens I'm not really sure of the spelling. The Peking seems scared of the ducklings how is the best way to get them living together safely? Is there an age when it's safer or is it really nothing to worry about?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Mallards and Rouens are two different ducks. Mallards are smaller, can fly. Rouens are large and can not fly.

We do not house ducklings with full grown ducks. They are kept in their pens and yards until fully feathered, and basically full grown before added to the adult flocks. This way they can keep up as they free range, and also defend themselves/hold their own in the flock.

3. Missy60

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks! I wasn't planning on moving them for a while, it's still to cold for them outside without a light at night.

4. Missy60

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I also read some where that rouens were domestic mallard ducks. Exactly as you described bigger and couldn't fly.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Rouens along most of the other domestic ducks are mallard derived. They are descendants of them, and is why you see breeds like WH and SA with similar and yet different characteristics.

6. Missy60

Apr 20, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I have another question. We tried moving the Rouens in with George and she just tried flocking them. We separated them with rat wire so they can see each other but not get to each other. When they are out of the pen George pretty much ignores them, except when one got in a mud puddle that she had been using. She ran at it (wish my grand daughter would decide on a name) but it ran out of the puddle very fast. The problem is George free ranges during the day and basically doesn't want to leave the pen. She does leave briefly but not for long, and is mostly turned towards them just watching them. We did some maintance on it yesterday hammering and everything but she still didn't want to go out. Remember she is the one that wanted to stay in the creek all day. She doesn't even go to the creek and has went back to using her pool mostly. What's up with this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by