Intergrating mixed age/sex flock !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by John Chicken GB, Aug 14, 2011.

1. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    Ok , Sit back whilst I explain my set up . I inherited 1 cockerel and 1 hen , both quite old 5 or 6 yrs I believe . They arrived with a rabbit hutch , which was a bit cramped , too low for him too crow without scratching his comb on the wire ,. So I thought , time to expand. My daughter and I converted an old redundant trailer and utilised some plastic piping to make a hooped ark/ run ! The rabbit hutch now, although too small for grown up chooks , looked ideal for chicks . I borrowed an incubator and started hatching : not one but four broods , transfering the chicks from heated brooder inside, to the rabbit hutch outside , and then when the next hatch is ready go to the next stage of the larger pen that I aquired . When the time comes for turning out the youngsters into the large pen , that I have had to build , cos of the numbers ; so far all has gone well . The old pair are King and Queen , pretty laid back , so no problem there (yet ) . The youngsters seemed ok to start with but now seem to be picking on the youngest batch ; who are now hiding in their nursery pen . They sleep in their nursery pens at night and in the morning I lift the end of the pen up on to a bucket so all have a free run of the main pen . Plenty of room for all (36ft x 24ft ) they can escape back into their own safe place if things get tough ! The chicks have become teenagers and the younger ones have become more adventurous and up until today all has gone calmley ; but overnight the teenagers have become adolessant , and are bullying the younger ones . Easy to stop that , I tucked the rebels back into their pen/run . Sorted ?? When should I try to reintergrate them ? Two weeks maybe ?? Or should I let them sort it out now before the Roos get too mature and want to battle it out with each other ? In total there are 2 oldies that I mentioned , 3 @ eight weeks . 8 @ 5 weeks , !16 will be ready to turnout in three weeks and another 60 in the incubator ready to hatch in two weeks . I dont have a very high hatch rate , for reasons unknown (poor fertility /rough postal system) so I expect perhaps 20 more hatchlings if I'm lucky ,out of the 60 ! In total , that should be 49 chooks , half of these will be Roos (for the pot !) so the flock will be a ( I'm hoping ) 25 hens with 4 or 5 of the best Roos' , all living happily together in the same large pen and sleeping in the one coop , which I have yet to build . I plan it to be 8ft x 4ft and 6ft high , with two compartments and two small pop-holes in the partition , accessable by all , but an escape route if needed by a chook who might be getting a hard time ! Am I expecting too much for this set up to work ? Are the dimensions sufficient for the numbers ? Love to all of you chickeny folk x____ great website this EH ?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. John Chicken GB

John Chicken GB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Great Britain
    When does the yelloe Icon show up on the recent posts list ??? lol

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hello, GB! Have you looked at the BYC thread on coop and run design & construction? Lots of photos and info on this thread. As far as integrating, I like to add birds at night, placing the new comers on the roost bar.

Glad you survived your career! [​IMG] You sound like you are enjoying your retirement! [​IMG]

Hope your building project goes well, and that you find all of the info that you need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by