Intergrating question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gringold, Jun 7, 2016.

1. gringold

gringold Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    I've read lots of threads and have followed advice from them. My 10 week old chickens are being integrated into my year old flock. I have them being successful together during the day, but I am worried about letting them be together at night. The big girls are still chasing the littles around the pen and pecking at them to make them run. They haven't hurt them and they don't do it all the time. Do you think they are ready to be together in the coop yet? Thanks.

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

That chasing and pecking is simply normal pecking order activity as long as you have enough roost space so the newbies can distance themselves they should be fine at night...

3. gringold

May 2, 2015
    Thanks

4. gringold

May 2, 2015
    They are doing better, but I still have to open the coop door and let some in after it automatically closes at dark. I have had a few nights with everyone in and some with no one in. Last night 2 were in and three were out. I really hope this gets better soon since I am going on a trip in about 3 weeks and don't want someone else to have to do that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  5. gringold

May 2, 2015
    Another question, if I let them out with the other birds in my fenced in backyard, will they follow the big girls home? I want to let them all out, but am worried they won't come back in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by