Intergrating question??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenwoods, Aug 24, 2007.

1. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    [​IMG] Heres my sit'iation,

I have 3 age groups of birds..
    Layers freerange in day,go to barn roost at night
    4 month olds live in chicken tracter,layers see them everyday in tracter.
    1 month olds live in brooder house,(RUNNING OUT OF ROOM)
    I need to move the 1 month olds into the chicken tracter,and move the 4 month olds to freerange/barn.and get brooder ready for new batch next spring.(long ways lol)

I have tried moving the 4 month olds with the layers,its scary to watch....they wont even give the little ones a break! its always CHASE,PECK,CHASE...and all the rooster wants to do is breed her..lol I had to pick her up and put her back in the tracter....

Is it possible to put them togather at this age?? Too young??
    Should i try to sneak them in at night, so they wake up togather??? Would it even work at this age???

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Is there something the 4 month olds can get under...to get away from the older ones? Even a few stacked bales of straw. Putting them in there in the evening is always better. Can you put the tractor in there at night? Let the older ones get used to them being in there at roost time. There will be some pecking, as long as there is no blood...they should be ok. Just watch them closely...and when the ROO trys to mate them....throw your arms out...yell NO, and chase him off. He should NEVER mount a hen in your presence. This keeps YOU as alpha....so he doesnt chalenge you one day.

3. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I added one of the 4 month olds into the barn...

They are getting along alittle bit,they treat her like dirt though!!If she gets within 5 feet of them when they are eating they peck her head hard...[​IMG]
    Shes been down in the barn with em for 2 or 3 days...

Will it ever be like they're family...???[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by