1. Lonesome Dough

Lonesome Dough Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2017
    SC Mpntana
    Well the old chicken mansion is coming along and I have succeeded in making a sow's ear out of a silk purse.[​IMG] I asked my wife to volunteer herself for interior paint detail and she offered her friend's volunteerism also. The Habitat Restore has base paint for $10 gallon and the local hardware store will tint and mix any color we want. So with that said I don't want to over think this but is there a preferred color that chickens like? I'm thinking a light beige or grey would be best, any opinions?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are colors people prefer, but that varies by the person. I personally like a darker coop, I think that is more calming and soothing for the chickens. Some people really like brighter lighter colors and these work too.

My suggestion would be to go for the cheaper premixed paint. If you have to pick a color, pick one that hides the poop instead of showcasing it.

3. Lonesome Dough

Feb 2, 2017
    SC Mpntana
    I agree a poop camo color would be a good idea, my thinking was lighter so it was brighter in there but then chickens don't read and I had it wired with plenty of lights and it has three large windows. I also thought I might cut a square out of the old OSB that's poop encrusted and let the paint lady at Ace Hardware do a color match.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  4. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  5. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is 4-5 of the 10-12 colors we used. Our chicken keep come by every time we opened another gallon and said the loved it. except the gallon of white so we closed it up and put it back in the barn

No we did not buy all these we had them left over from another project. all are oil based paint.

BTW the black is blackjack 57 roofing rubber on the floors and 3' up the walls. I can scrape anywhere with a putty knife and is does nothing to paint or roofing rubber.

Scott

6. Lonesome Dough

Feb 2, 2017
    SC Mpntana
    That's wild I like it, reminds me of traveling in Mexico.[​IMG] Wife and I decided maybe a two tone job, dark brown about 4 feet up and then go to a beige for the rest and the ceiling.

7. ScottandSam

ScottandSam Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    I'm happy with it. not Mexican but no harm there. From the outside it rustic to match the house but inside I think more like a circus.lol

Scott

8. cabincreations

cabincreations Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

Mines mostly blue...and it goes well with the raw wood...but if I get energetic this summer I am going to be painting the raw wood either blue or white I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by