Interior coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Justhatched, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    This weekend I started painting the coop (not complete yet) and now I am thinking about the interior. My goal is to "preserve" the wood and make cleaning easier. I was thinking of putting wallpaper up on the inside walls. What are the pros and cons to doing that? Should I do something better to preserve the wood?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think a gloss or semi gloss paint would hold up a lot better. If a corner of the wallpaper loosens, they will pull it off and probably eat it.

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    we used FRP on the walls and floor of the coop. On the walls we put the FRP about 3/4 the way up and then painted the other 1/4 with white paint. It really makes for easy clean-up. I just wipe the walls down once a week with vinegar and the floors I do monthly with vinegar. So far so good, they have been in this coop for 8 months now.

I posted a picture below showing the inside with the FRP in it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    [​IMG][​IMG]TThis is the inside of the coop when we were just about done with it.

5. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I like the idea of frp I was debating that myself. Cleans easily for sure! thanks for the pics. Wallpaper not a good idea with the cold and heat it will begin to peal and then they will find areas to pick at. I say semigloss paint is a better idea then wallpaper. Frp better for sure!

6. dustyroad

dustyroad Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    I wouldn't suggest to go out and buy this when in need, but something that I've found very useful to have stockpiled is old hard-side above ground pool material. It can be picked up cheap at fleamarkets/Craigslist/classifieds and is great. Smooth on one side, dense (easy to clean) plastic and large in size. The only drawback is that it can get wavy during storage, so I try to keep it tightly rolled and out of the sun.

7. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    What is FRB? I am sure it is obvious, but my brain just can't seem to figure it out this morning.

8. lorain's fids

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey

FRP is fiberglass reinforced plastic. It comes in sheets similar in size to a sheet of paneling. And it is glued on to the surface.

9. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012

you can find it at any homedepot or lowes... its 4'x8'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by