HungryHippie

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2020
Ohio (but not a buckeye!!)
Hi all,
I have scoured this site AND google but I’m just not finding satisfactory answers to my questions.

I want to protect the inside of my coop, or at least extend its life. I already have vinyl I’ll be putting down, but I want to stain (I think) the walls. I don’t want to paint because I flat out don’t want to deal with the possibility of chipping now, or ever.
So I’m wondering about just staining the walls, no Poly or Urethane or anything. (Poly could still chip, urethane is expensive and high VOC).

1. Has anybody done stain only? Can you offer any feedback
2. would stain alone offer any protection against mites?
3. Has anybody tried any natural oils as a stain such as Tung oil?

thanks for any input!
B9BE55BE-12AC-4ED0-B1F6-E572E291E124.jpeg
FCBA97F3-A1EE-4A85-9F00-B910910C94DE.jpeg

It's not necessary to paint, stain, or otherwise seal the interior of a chicken coop as long as you've used the appropriate, exterior-grade lumber and siding. If properly managed the interior will stay absolutely dry and thus won't be at risk of deterioration. :)

In fact, it's better to let the wood breath freely to help keep it dry should it get wet at any point.

I agree, it's not necessary. However, I'm over the top and bought these for my new coop: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oak-47-75-in-x-7-98-ft-Embossed-White-Oak-Wall-Panel/1000937538

They were dirt cheap. Wouldn't be a big deal to replace if necessary. I'm not worried about moisture because I clean out the poop daily and don't leave my water in the coop. I have cheap vinyl for the floor, too. I know there are mixed feelings on this, but I was putting styrofoam insulation in between the interior and exterior walls because it gets below zero sometimes at night and I wanted paneling to keep the girls from picking at it.

would stain alone offer any protection against mites?
No wood treatment will protect against mites.

I would seal that OSB on the floor before installing vinyl.
A single sheet, rather than tiles, of good heavy duty vinyl will protect any spills getting underneath.

In case you're thinking about it, insulating the walls is moot with adequate ventilation, and can harbor pests(rodents and bugs).

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @HungryHippie
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1599858279889.png

Hi all,
I have scoured this site AND google but I’m just not finding satisfactory answers to my questions.

I want to protect the inside of my coop, or at least extend its life. I already have vinyl I’ll be putting down, but I want to stain (I think) the walls. I don’t want to paint because I flat out don’t want to deal with the possibility of chipping now, or ever.
So I’m wondering about just staining the walls, no Poly or Urethane or anything. (Poly could still chip, urethane is expensive and high VOC).

1. Has anybody done stain only? Can you offer any feedback
2. would stain alone offer any protection against mites?
3. Has anybody tried any natural oils as a stain such as Tung oil?

thanks for any input!
View attachment 2329355View attachment 2329356
The walls should be just fine as is but the floor is OSB and will need to be protected. You could get self sticking vinyl tiles while the floor is still new and clean. OSB is going to be a problem with moisture especially on the floor.

It's not necessary to paint, stain, or otherwise seal the interior of a chicken coop as long as you've used the appropriate, exterior-grade lumber and siding. If properly managed the interior will stay absolutely dry and thus won't be at risk of deterioration. :)

In fact, it's better to let the wood breath freely to help keep it dry should it get wet at any point.
Interesting.

A single sheet, rather than tiles, of good heavy duty vinyl will protect any spills getting underneath.

In case you're thinking about it, insulating the walls is moot with adequate ventilation, and can harbor pests(rodents and bugs).

View attachment 2329507
It's not necessary to

View attachment 2329507

thanks for the tips! I added my location... with a special message. I am living on Ohio, but I’m not a buckeye! Haha.

What would you recommend sealing the floor with?

i actually would prefer to not do anything to the interior. I was only considering it because it was recommended to me by a veterinarian to do so. He said sealing it would make cleanup easier and would also help keep the wood from absorbing odors. As I said, my biggest hope was that it with help keep mites out. If painting wont help with that, then it seems silly to paint!

I will have to do more research on deep coop cleaning.

He said sealing it would make cleanup easier
True.

and would also help keep the wood from absorbing odors.
Ehh...maybe.
Does this vet have chickens?

I am living on Ohio, but I’m not a buckeye!
Good!! Ha!
So southern or northern Ohio?

I will have to do more research on deep coop cleaning.
Depends if you are a 'clean freak' or not.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Good!! Ha!
So southern or northern Ohio?
Too funny! I just looked and saw you're a Michigander! Funny story- I'm actually from Lansing so should be a Sparty, but as an only child I rebelled and became a Wolverine! And then tragically I have relocated to Columbus, Ohio. Karma haha.

Depends if you are a 'clean freak' or not.
I kind of am unfortunately haha. However. It's also very important for me to keep this as natural as possible, so this is going to be a balancing act for me. Perhaps I've been reading too much clean freak perspective, and not enough from people like you because I always read about people using bleach and stuff to "deep clean" 1-2 times per year. I really enjoyed reading your approach.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
Love this idea. what do you use for poop boards? Before I got the chicks I believe I read about someone using commercial baking pans.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
Last question (I think) do you use diatomaceous earth or anything else to keep clean? I've read mixed things about that, but basically my biggest "clean freak" fear is mites/bugs/parasites. I'm sure I'll learn and get more comfortable as time goes on, but as a newbie that's a big fear.

Thank you SO much for your wisdom! with stuff like this it really helps to learn from a human, not just google. So really, thank you :)

Go Blue!? ha.

With a well-managed manure/beddng system, wet cleaning should never be necessary at all. :)
Thank you!! I've read and read and read, but it's starting to seem as though I've been reading the wrong things! Perhaps I need to spend more time on this forum, and less on the google machine. All I've ever seen is people talking about wet cleans.
Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom