Interior of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by derby, May 5, 2008.

1. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Just started on our first coop. I was wondering about finishing the interior wood. Is there any reason to paint or seal the interior? It is exterior grade, but untreated, particle board. I was also wondering about lining the interior with tyvek. I thought it might make it easier to clean, but maybe they would be pecking at it all the time. Any thoughts? What size would you make a henhouse for 6 hens? I thought I would have a run for them for days that I wasn't home and let them free-range on days that I am home.

Thanks!

2. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I don't know what part of the country you are in and how hot/cold it gets but, you shouldn't need insulation if it is tight and free from drafts. I like a window and a couple of vents for hot summer nights here in KS. 6 birds need at least 3 square ft per bird: so a 6'x6' coop =36 sq. feet divided by 3' = 12 birds. I like to do 4 sq. ft. per bird so a 6'x6'=36 sq ft divide by 4' = 8 birds. Also depends on if you are doing standard breeds or bantams. Remember when designing your coop to allow for more birds in the future should you decide to add to your flock. (Trust me, you will! ) Good luck with your project and check out the coop section on BYC for more ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by