Interior or exterior nests better?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sylvie, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    We have seen pics of both interior and exterior nests.
    Would there be a problem with the exterior nest in colder northern areas? I don't mean outside. What I like about those is no perching on top and more floor space. Are there any drawbacks?

2. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Speaking from a 'non-handy' point of view, I think it's just plain easier to put them on the inside. I would rather have mine on the outside, but I'm not up to the task.

3. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    We have ours on the outside. I like it because it doesn't take up room in the coop, they can't roost and poop on the top and best of all we don't have to enter the coop to gather eggs. We live in a moderate climate so the cold is not a concern but if you were to build them well and insulate them like the rest of the coop I think it wouldn't let any more cold air in than a door would.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ours haven't started laying yet but we have ours on the outside.

5. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
    layers don't seem to want a cold breeze or cold temps when laying. They like some thing above 45 degrees in the winter.

Our nesting boxes for our winter enclosure are with in the heated space of the coop. But in summer then like the boxes that are on the exterior better where it's some what cooler.

You can put a slanted roof on the nesting boxes and the won't roost on them. or at least for very long.

Tom

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    It's easier to build them on the inside.
    I personally like the look of the ones on the outside. If you do not like to "go inside" the coop and dirty up your shoes the out side might be better. But if you don't mind visiting with the chickens while getting eggs inside.

inside can keep them warmer in the winter months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by