Interior paint question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moonflowers, May 5, 2009.

1. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I saw some beautiful coops on this website and am using some ideas from there. The coop is almost finished with the exception of the nest boxes but we should safely have a couple months on those. I just finished priming the plywood on the inside and was about to paint it but my husband was wondering if it is okay to use oil based paint as it would be easier to clean. We aren't sure if the chickens would be okay with the oil base.
    Thanks!

2. catnip

catnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Nebraska
    I used an oil based paint that was made for use on barns. I just made sure to let it dry and air out really well before I added the chickens. It's been easy to clean and I haven't had any problems.

3. moonflowers

moonflowers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Great! That's the kind of paint we got. We are planning on painting it tomorrow and then putting them in the next day. They are adorable and I love them but they have worn out their welcome in the house at 5.5 weeks old. We will all be happier when they are in their coop [​IMG]

Thank you for the quick response!

4. catnip

catnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Nebraska
    It was a good week or so before the smell subsided when I painted. But I put 2 coats on for good durability. Maybe your paint will dry quickly and if you can keep it well ventilated, it should work.

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    It'll be fine. Once cured their is no "oil" left in the paint to cause harm. Painting is not really needed, though. A couple coats of primer will do as well as anything.

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I painted with oil-based primer and latex semi-gloss. Worked out great. Yes, oil-based will last longer and be easier to clean.

I don't know what your weather is like, but I know that it took more than just one day to get my paint job totally dry. Maybe it's more humid here? When I put on my first coat, it was so humid that the paint literally slid off the wall. I was horrified. After scraping it all off (no small feat), I waited for the weather to pass, painted again and set up a fan until I was positive it was all dry. Dunno, but you might want to plan on a couple more days of togetherness, just to be on the safe side.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    In earlier times, people made whitewash for the walls of chicken houses. Just google it, but suffice it to say that is primarily composed of lime and salt, with some sort of binder like chalk added. It can be easily made and is inexpensive

It is white which lends an airiness to the coop and is also easily cleaned. It is rugged and wears well. But, and here's the kicker, whitewash has antibacterial qualities that paint does not.

I know you want to get really into this, since this is all new to you.
    It's actually kind of fun, isn't it? TO me, there is a genuine nobility to the work fo chickens... all men are equal before them.

But fancy dolled up affairs arent needed for chickens. They won't like you more for it and you will gain little for the effort.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  8. BCMominMD

BCMominMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Southern Md
    I'm in the midst of priming my new shed/coop as well. I haven't had alot of painting experience and it has been raining here for weeks so I used a water base primer (Kills I think) and plan to use water base semigloss exterior latex. Does that sound OK?
    Other then ease of cleaning - I'm painting the inside just because it will make me happy every time I look in there.
    My chicks are 6 weeks and really need to get out of the house too. I've devised a way to put newspaper/pine shavings under their large dog kennel roost and then roll it up and replace it each morning. Hope to manage the smell for one more week until the painting is done.

9. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    I used water based barn paint from Wal-Mart that was $8.97 a gallon. It comes already colored so make sure they mix it up for you.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I would be willing to bet the barn paint and certainly the Kilz are modern approximations of whitewash. At $9/gallon, the barn paint sounds hard to beat. As for Kilz, well... it is very nearly the 8th Wonder of the World.

Paint is good inside the coop - fancy paint and wallpaper 'aint needed. If you just want to gussy it up, that's commendable. I tip my hat to you. [​IMG]

But, in my experience, the chickens will hardly appreciate it.

Last edited: May 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by