Interior: to paint or not to paint

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by irlybird, May 18, 2019.

1. irlybird

irlybird In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2019
    hello. We are getting close to be done our coop. The interior is sheets of OSB and the flooring Is linoleum.

I was originally told to NoT paint the interior but I don’t remember who told me or why.

Is it advised we paint the interior OSB?

Thanks for your help.

IrishLad61 and MomJones like this.
  2. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Hi Irly, we painted our coop inside and out. Including the wooden floor. That was in 2017. We're on our second flock and still running 24 chickens or so. We used exterior latex outside, interior latex or acrylic paints inside. No problems. No issues. So I say Paint Away![/GALLERY]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    As long as it stays dry there's no real need to paint the interior OSB.

You can paint it if you want, but make sure you let the paint fully cure and de-gas before adding the birds.

ETA: make sure you get a paint that will adhere well to the OSB you have,
    some have quite a bit of 'glue' on the surface.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    MomJones likes this.
  4. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    I'm whitewashing the inside - it's antimicrobial and deters insects. Whitewash is thinner than paint. You make it up yourself - the ratio is a gallon of warm water, 2 cups of salt, and 6-8 cups of hydrated lime (NOT the lime for garden use). We were able to find hydrated lime at the local hardware store.

Trux likes this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Either will be wonderful, and will never ever happen after the birds move in! My coop is not painted inside, and I can't imagine cleaning it up enough to treat it now.
    Mary

FlappyFeathers and Sueby like this.
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I like the interior painted.... easier to get the walls clean when they are painted...

The OSB, or any type of plywood, will absorb poo etc. and dust sticks to the rough areas.

When you paint it the wall will no longer absorb "stuff" :rolleyes: that gets on it, and is smoother so less dust sticks on.

If you are worried about cost, "oops" colors are a good choice... or I used up old paint from my house.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I love the 'oops paint' section!
    Mary

starri33 and ShannonR like this.
  8. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    I love love love this idea. And I've had fabulous results with hydrated lime in the coop (underneath all the bedding). So smart. Thanks for the reminder.

starri33 likes this.
  9. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    I would paint mine if it is OSB on the inside. Just to seal up the wood... less places for things like mites and mold to hang out. Easier to clean, easier to fumigate. That OSB tends to soak up water and wetness.

I once made an outdoor shower from a pallet, with OSB walls. I painted both pallet and walls with elastomeric (roof coat) paint and it has held up for years. Really though, any paint is an improvement over uncovered OSB

FlappyFeathers, Trux and MomJones like this.
  10. MomJones

MomJones Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    South Carolina
    Outdoor showers = pure bliss.

Trux and ShannonR like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: