Intermittent Vent Gleet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WaddleWaddle, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    One of my Rhode island reds has had intermittent vent gleet for the past two months. All my hens have constant access to two waterers one with ACV and one with ProBios. I do warm Epsom salt baths to clean up her vent as needed which is pretty frequent. Under her vent it is red. When she needs cleaning it appears it is more urine that is stuck to her feathers. The smell is not overly offensive either, it is more of a somewhat sour sweet smell.
    So what do I do now? None of my other hens have ever had this problem, it is just her. I do not have access to an avairy vet. Do I deworm her? Do I treat for fungal or bacterial?
    I will add a photo today once I get home.
    Thanks in advance

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    To treet vent gleet use Nystatin. You might be able to order this online. I believe it is a liquid. You can use with the Nystatin along with a fungal creme like used for atheletes feet. topically on the area for 14 days. The cause of vent gleet is a imbalance of normal occuring bacteria in the digestive system. Moldy foods can also cause it. Prevention is not feeding scraps you wouldn't eat yourself, clean water daily, keep coop clean, and keep feed dry and stored in a weather tight container. I also would not give the ACV right now as it could be too acidic. The probotics I would continue. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    thanks @realsis I will look for the Nystatin and hold off on the ACV. They don't eat anything that I wouldn't feed my own family and their waterers and scrubbed daily and changed once if not twice a day. The coop is kept clean and feed is kept dry and fresh. Hopefully the nystatin will help.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Also you can treat the reddened outside area with a antifungal like for atheletes feet. You can use this along with the medication. The antifungal would be for topical use only not internal but it should help as well. Keep us posted on how she does with the medication. Hope this is helpful. Best wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by