internal and external parasite control

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minniechickmama, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Is there a treatment (besides DE and Garlic) to use that will take care of internal AND external both at the same time?
    I have just one hen that I have found mites on and I think she is full of worms too. I was wondering if it is possible to kill to parasites with one stone?
    Thanks.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I recommend sevin dust to dust your birds, you will have to dust the inside of their coop, nests and roosts anyway. Repeat dusting in 10 days to kill nits hatched since the initial dusting. Sevin dust is $4.97 at Lowe's for the 1 pound canister. I recommend Safeguard liquid goat wormer (fenbendazole) to worm your birds. You can purchase it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. It's a very effective wormer and costs about $16 for the 125ml bottle. You'll have to repeat worming in 10 days.

3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks Dawg!
    I think the Fleet store I am heading to carries both.

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Sure,

[​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Dosage for the goat wormer is 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Redose again in 10 days. There's a 24 day withdrawal from start to finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Eprinex is ineffective against cecal worms and wont kill lice on poultry. Poultry lice dont suck blood. Safeguard liquid goat wormer kills cecal worms that carries the protozoa that causes blackhead. Sevin dust kills all types of lice/mites in poultry.
    http://eprinexkillsit.com/ (Click "Get the proof" at the top)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    So, all they had of Safeguard was the paste for horses and cattle, and bags of pellets that are alfalfa based for cattle. I am afraid either of those options I would end up overdosing some and not getting others. What they did have is Valbazen, so I got it since it is a broad spectrum dewormer. I did get the Sevin - 3 cans since I will probably need it with all the coops and pens I have [​IMG]
    That was the mostly likely place I would be able to get what I need without mail order.
    Do you know how much I need to give each bird of the Valbazen? It is labeled for cattle, sheep and goats, so there are no instructions on poultry. It ought to be fun having to give over 100 birds each a dose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by