internal egg laying and egg bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hennyhandler, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    How can you tell the difference between the two? I have researched because I am concerned about one of my chickens. I read the symptoms of each and they are so similiar or at least for me they are. They both have swollen abdomens. I have heard that people can feel the egg in an eggbound hen but I have also seen pics of a abdomen that is huge and much larger than an egg and yet they pass an egg later. Everything I read I think that is it and turn around and think the other is it. I don't understand. Please post defined symptoms. Thanks so much.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have an internal layer who is so huge she will *pop* soon. I don't have any links but would recommend trying the soaking for 20 minutes in a warm bath,and keeping the hen in a dark location for most of the day. I read no more than 4 hours of light per day to lessen the egg laying cycle. If an egg doesn't come out soon imo an egg bound hen becomes an internal layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by