internal egg laying (peritonitis) what antibiotics to use?

Mrs.ChickChick

Songster
10 Years
May 23, 2009
North central Illinois
I have Tylan 50 and injectible penicillin g procaine on hand, but have never had to give a shot before. Know it's iffy that these will work, but I have to try. Sydney's a 1 year old Australorp, head of the pecking order and normally a great layer and friendly bird. Poor girl.
sad.png
The area below her vent is very swollen, like a water balloon. I've isolated her in a dog crate, given water and scrambled egg, but she's hardly eating or drinking and very lethargic.

At first I thought she was egg bound, so I soaked her in warm water. After all the poo was off, I could get a better look. Gently inserted some olive oil with a syringe. Then probed with gloved finger and realized the swelling was below the vent and was not firm. So did internet research and it sounds just like egg yolk peritonitis. But I can't find how much and what kind of antibiotic to give her.

Last edited:
After searching around the site some more, came across some posts that also called this condition internal egg laying. (I originally had the post titled egg yolk peritonitis) It sounds like antibiotic may or may not help in the short term; however, this condition has a genetic component and will probably come back even if the antibiotics do help. So now I'm weighing whether or not the humane thing is to put her out of her misery. I don't want her to continue to suffer.

Last edited:
I know there is a post somewhere that deals with removing the liquid from inside. Speckled hen talks about it in one of her post that might help. You can just keep her and see how she does I know there are a couple of byc members that have this problem and have the hens still living in the flock. I would do a search and see if you can find the information from speckled hen.

from my research, there's not a whole lot you can do for internal egg laying, especially for the long term. i have a chicken who is an internal layer and she's been fine now for 3 months. eats, drinks, goes outside with the others. she does waddle with the large abdomen, but has been spunky. so i say let her stay if she's not in any pain. you'll know when the time is right.

I am dealing with that infection rightnow.By reading some old posts the one say pen. twice a dayby injection.MIne has egg yolk infection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom