Internal infection? Prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by canuck chicken, Jun 18, 2011.

1. canuck chicken

canuck chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    I just had to have my 5 year-old Auracana euthanized due to a massive infection but I'm not sure what caused the infection. She had a red swollen protrusion below her vent and her vent had some infection in it that bugs were getting at. Does this sound like a prolapse? The vent itself was not protruding. I don't want this to happen to another of my hens and I wonder what I could have done better if I had caught the problem earlier before the infection was so bad.
    Any insights would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm sorry!

If the vent was not protruding then it wasn't a prolapse. I would guess she was an internal layer, severely eggbound, or had a cancer, and that caused the red protruding area. No doubt there are other internal problems that could be the cause. I suspect that infection was a result of whatever her problem was, and I doubt there was much if anything that you could have done -- or that a vet could have done, for that matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by